Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyev

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
This is my second batch and really my first in months. I've had beer in the first fermenter for a week now and am ready to move it to the second fermenter. When I opened up the plastic fermenter, there is still some sediment at the top. Is this normal and is it still ok for me to siphon to the 2nd fermenter?

Thanks,
Andy

How thick does the layer of gunk look? If it looks like a big, rocky turmoil, you're not done. However, if it looks like it's very thin or there are rafts of it floating around, you're probably fine. If you can see evidence that the layer was higher at time, this is also a good indication that primary fermentation is complete.

Here's a good image to explain what Cheyco was saying (from my current batch). Just a few floaties and there is evidence of the Krausen around the edges. If it looks like this, time for secondary.

nobull_bock.jpg

The picture is great. That is exactly what it looks like. I didn't know if I needed to wait until it's completely foam free on top or if it's ok to go ahead and move to the second fermenter. I'll move it this morning.

Thanks again!

Back