Siphoning a spiced beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
Newbie brewer here. I bottled a holiday spiced ale on friday and what a miserable experience it was. I kept getting bits of orange peel stuck in the tubing going from fermenter to bottling bucket and the siphon would all but stop. I would have to break the siphon and let the back pressure blow the stuck orange peel back into the fermenter. This happened at least 10 times and it took about 30 minutes to get all the beer into the bottling bucket. I hope not too much oxygen got in there.

How do you typically siphon beers with a lot of particles? Do you carefully dump it into a secondary with a strainer? I don't have/use a secondary and left this in the primary for three weeks. Most of the orange peel was floating, but there was also a lot of peel in suspension. Any tips would be appreciated!

I just bottle my first beer which is a spiced holiday ale. I have an autosiphon and that did a good job of keeping the spices out.

Back