Baltic Porter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Baltic Porter which I thought was typically classified as an ale. However, AHS told me to be a true authentic Baltic Porter, it is bottom fermented. Ok, that is no problem and I have it fermenting right now with SaLager23 at 53 degrees.

Now here is my dilemma. I really don't have a place to "lager" this brew. I guess I could put it back in my fermentation cooler and try to get it down to the low 40 degrees (never tried to go lower than 50) and hold there for a few weeks, but I know I wont be able to get it to stay under 40 consistently for any length of time.

How will the lack of lagering affect the taste? If I had known that I would need to lager (just didn't even think about it) I would have fermented it with Nottingham at 60 degrees. Well, too late for that.

Should I try to lager this beer in the 40's for a few weeks, or will it really make any difference in taste?

Thanks for any help.

Mk,
I'd just lager it in the 40s for awhile. It won't be as clean as a properly lagered beer, but it should be ok.

Back