GF Corona help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniman1380

Reaction score
Hi im fairly new to all grain, im looking to attempt to make a Corona style that is gluten free. I hoping to substitute millet and buckwheat ( unmalted as they are not available in oz) for the barley. Would anyone have any advice or help that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Andy

Hey Andy, I haven't research those grains so I don't know, but a lot of grains don't have any diastatic power to convert the starch to sugar in the mash. I'm pretty sure though that unmalted grains don't have the enzyme needed to convert. I have heard malted wheat has the enzyme, but I think buckwheat is different or it wouldn't be gluten free. Without the sugar you can't make beer. If you want to try those grains look into steeping them and using sugar or use amylase to mash them.

Here's an artcle written by a guy who has already done some experimentation. http://comradesbrewing.com/2013/03/full-grain-gluten-free-trial/

Hi im fairly new to all grain, im looking to attempt to make a Corona style that is gluten free. I hoping to substitute millet and buckwheat ( unmalted as they are not available in oz) for the barley. Would anyone have any advice or help that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Andy

Depending on which one corona uses you might want to add some corn or rice.

I am going to try something along those lines soon. Waiting for my current rice malt (extract) brew to finish up.

Back