Rat Bones Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Well, I finally named my brewery a few weeks ago. SWMBO's Grandfather used to brew beer and make wine for about 20 years. Well, a few months ago we went to California to visit. He gave me his last two carboys that had survived all the years of storage. He had had them in his barn for the last 10 years or so. Well, a few barn rats had made their way into the carboy at one point in time. When I cleaned the carboys out there were enough bones to make about 7 rat skeletons. Hence the name, Rat Bones Brewing Co.

While still on hiatus from brewing (with the exception of some Mead and and the always occupied Apfelwein Carboy) I have been collecting bottles and other brewing related freebies off of CraigsList, as well as gathering materials for and designing my sculpture.

6jmgiz9.jpg

Just an overall picture of the "Brewery". Take special note of the three kegs that are going to be keggles for the single-tier brewstand. Also, there is my Terrible Towel, a christmas gift from SWMBO.

87aqxxh.jpg

Yours truly cleaning about 6 cases worth of bottles. What a chore.

6o2xpxy.jpg

11 cases of Brown bottles. 2 cases of clear bottles. 2 cases of Flip-top bottles (Grolsch, Fischer, etc.) I use the clear bottles for my Apfelwein. All of these bottles are cleaned and sanitized. Also, my bottle tree I got in a big CraigsList score. When I go to bottle though, I will re-sanitize the bottles I use.

6kh0lxj.jpg

My Carboy storage area. I have 14 5 and 6.5 gallon carboys, and 5 1 gallon carboys. Some of them are occupied in my closet. Also where I keep my six-pack holders.

7x4af68.jpg

Top to bottom:
  • 3 cases of Green bottles.
  • Growlers from various Las Vegas breweries. DME. Misc ingredients ( irish moss, campden tabs, yeast nutrient, dry yeast, etc.). Star-san. Baby Food jars for cultivating yeast. Honey for priming and mead. Bottle Cappers. Hydrometer. Grolsch washers. Bottle caps.
  • 22 oz bombers. Misc sized bottles. Wine Bottles.
  • More Carboys.
6yn4uif.jpg

Bottles soaking to be cleaned and sanitized. Turkey Fryer AKA Brew Kettle. Fermentation / Lagering frisge, a CL freebie. Stroller and a sailboat.

72pqrso.jpg

A close up of my snowboard. REPRESENT.

8amf1mo.jpg

Representin' some more.

Why are you scrubbing bottles when all you have to do is soak them in hot PBW overnight to get the labels to float off? This will also remove foil necks. No scrubbing. Ever.

:drunk:

Nice layout, BTW!

Rat Bones Brewery is looking...well...pretty damn impressive!
Looks like you are keeping very busy getting ready for the grand re-opening.

Spyk'd said:
Why are you scrubbing bottles when all you have to do is soak them in hot PBW overnight to get the labels to float off? This will also remove foil necks. No scrubbing. Ever.
Nice layout, BTW!
I don't scrub them all. I soak them in oxyclean and most of the labesl just float to the top in a couple days or so. Most of them come out of the water pretty clean. Sometimes there is a little glue residue on the bottles and I'll rub them off a bit. I'm wearing gloves because the water was a frigid 36 degrees.:D

Very nice. It's good to see a brewery so neat and organized. Nicely done!

Back