Cider VS Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
Alight, here is a strange question. . .I have several recipes to start my first batch of brewing hard apple cider. I go to the store and I see several choices. There is Apple Juice, pastuerized, with nothing else but Asorbic Acid (Vitamin C) added and then there is Apple Cider, pastuerized, with nothing added. Sometimes the Juice has the Vit. C and Calcium, but I can only find the Apple Juice with nothing added when I see the gallon bottles of Apple Juice made from concentrate with just Juice, Water, from concentrate.

Is the Asorbic Acid a preservative and which is better to use. . the Juice or the Cider (and what is the difference?)

Thanks for the clarification.

Dont know the definative answer but I have made several batches using concentrated apple juice with nothing added and they have been great.

I've used juice and cider, have had good results with both. If I'm buying juice I look for the stuff that's 100% apple juice with asorbic acid, cider I try and buy the ones that are just flash pasturized. End product is close to the same from what I've made. I have found that the juice batches do clear quicker than the ones made from cider and are ready to drink sooner. :)

Juice is filtered much better than cider and has asorbic acid added. Cider is pressed and filtered, but not as fine and still has sediment and pulp.

Some believe that good hard apple cider must start from cider. I've used both and don't think one is any better than the other. I've even used the frozen concentrate that's 100% juice, that works pretty well also. :drunk:

**Usually** Cider has more 'stuff' in it and gives you a higher gravity. So the potential alcohol levels are higher. As long as you use two fermentors, like with beer, most/all the extra sediment settles and isn't transfered to your secondary.

You're more likely to get a bite with apple juice. You are never quite sure what 'they've' done to the juice. At least with the cider it's less...processed.

Georgian Novice said:
Is the Asorbic Acid a preservative and which is better to use. . the Juice or the Cider (and what is the difference?)
Thanks for the clarification.

Asorbic Acid (citric acid or vitamin C) is a color preservative that prevents oxidation. Without it the juice or cider will turn brown unless fully filtered.

Cider is unfiltered and contains some pulp.

Juice is filtered.

I vote for neither.

If you go to a local orchard you might be able to get gallons of cider cheaper than gallons of juice (and definately cider) from the grocery... support the yocals

I fully support the local yocal support team! My local fruit farm has the best tasting sweet apple cider I've EVER had...lucky me. It will definitely NOT be cheaper than "juice" from the grocery. The way I see it, building rapport with the local farm is much more personal than a Dillon's check out counter, and that adds to the whole experience. And worth the extra dough. The stuff I get is no more than squeezed apples, NOTHING added..not even water. And it is flash pasteurized..if left at room temp it will begin to ferment on it's own and explode! It happenned... I was able to save half of it and let it finish with it's own yeasts. It was not very good. But the same stuff, properly done with a recipe is terriffic!

Back