The light went on, finally: overcarbing through poor speed-carb process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
For some reason I had it in my head that the proper speed-carbing method was this:
  1. Chill keg
  2. Up regulator to ~30 psi (3x style)
  3. Shake keg 2-5 min
  4. Let keg sit at ~30 psi for 24 hrs
  5. Purge keg
  6. Down regulator to ~12 psi (to style)
  7. Let sit at serving temp for 48 hrs
  8. Serve & enjoy
...And of course I was getting glasses of foam with flat beer beneath. I blamed it on line length, I blamed it on poor pouring technique, soap in the glass, you name it.

After a long-overdue reread of the first few pages of the speed-carbing sticky I've come to realize that I should be doing either step 3 or step 4, not both. I'm overcarbed. :eek: Will be bringing down the pressure starting tonight.

Just posted so others might know where I went wrong, in case they're in similar circumstances, or might be someday.

-Rich

For some reason I had it in my head that the proper speed-carbing method was this:
  1. Chill keg
  2. Up regulator to ~30 psi (3x style)
  3. Shake keg 2-5 min
  4. Let keg sit at ~30 psi for 24 hrs
  5. Purge keg
  6. Down regulator to ~12 psi (to style)
  7. Let sit at serving temp for 48 hrs
  8. Serve & enjoy
...And of course I was getting glasses of foam with flat beer beneath. I blamed it on line length, I blamed it on poor pouring technique, soap in the glass, you name it.

After a long-overdue reread of the first few pages of the speed-carbing sticky I've come to realize that I should be doing either step 3 or step 4, not both. I'm overcarbed. :eek: Will be bringing down the pressure starting tonight.

Just posted so others might know where I went wrong, in case they're in similar circumstances, or might be someday.

-Rich

Yeah there are endless threads of people who do not recommend shaking the keg. Just do 30psi for 24 hours, purge keg, reduce to serving pressure and enjoy.

Back