Dry Ale try and fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat_Nutz

Reaction score
So here I go. After searching around I cant seem to find anything on what first impressions or any impressions people have gotten from brewing a dryer beer. I have found tons of information on how to do it, but I'm looking more for what your impressions where after tasting said dry beer. I usually mash at 158 - 160 area, this yields a nice heavy beer that I love to drink, not everyone that tries it likes it, so I experimented with a dryer ale. I mashed at 144 - 146 did everything the same as I do for my usual beer, but I gotta say after kegging this thing I'm not to impressed with it. It is definitely dryer but it just has a strange taste to it. Now, I'm wondering, is it just my taste buds not being used to this dry/kind of beer or do others seem to have the same experience that I did with a dryer version of your favorite beer. BTW I also had a problem with my propane burner, wasn't able to get allot of surface break while boiling and indeed barely saw the wort moving while boiling the hops, though it was moving and the thermometer read it at 214. Could this be the culprit with the, while not bad, just strange taste i seem to be having? Any and all feedback would be welcomed and appreciated.

11 lbs pale malt
1 oz nugget at 60
1 oz nugget at 15
1 oz nugget at 5
muntons brewers yeast pitched dry at 77 F

What was your FG? Ive never mashed that low, Im usually around 150-152 for a nice dry finish. I would also think 5-10% specialty malts might make it more interesting in the flavor department, give some unfermentables for body.

My setup doesn't boil vigorously, just kind of rolls along so I don't think that's the case for you. Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe brew one right in the middle of your normal temps and 145, see how that feels

I'd agree with odin. You just need some character malt in there. I like to mash 150-152. They usually come out medium body not heavy but not thin. I'm curious about your beginning gravity and final gravity. Did it finish low?

I did take readings but have no idea what they where, mostly cuz im a noob that doesn't like to write things down, though the more i post on here the more I think that it's probably a good idea to start doing. I wanna say that it was lower than normal, in the 1.008 or 1.010 range most of my brews are a bit higher than that. Is that low? I've had one get down in the 1.018 kinda range just under 1.020 but that's about as low as i can remember getting, again all this is from my, at the time of measuring, fuzzy memory. Hope this helps. Oh the other thing about my Hydro is it's pretty cheap, just a rolled up piece of paper inside a glass tube, not sure how accurate it is, though normal tap water is just slightly above 1.000 like 1.001 or 2 but I'm not sure if that paper is moving around.

Back