Hello, Can anyone recomemd a good starter beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say to go with an extract kit if this is the is your first beer. I would say a brown ale is a good option. Make sure to make a semi heavy beer. The lighter beers are harder to hide mistakes in.

What type of beer do you like to drink? make that. Check Midwest out as they have a variety of good kits to start from.

I think this is the most important. Make something you want to drink! You will have (probably) 5 gallons of it!

Contact Northern Brewer and request a catalog. Their catalogs are just gorgeous, and you will probably find at least one you really want to make.

try a hefeweizen. one of the SIMPLEST beers you can do

if it's extract

6 lbs Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertau or Tettnanger hops
Wyeast 3068 of WLP 300 yeast.... voila. that's about it simple, tasty and easy

+1 on Midwest's copper ale. I've made it a couple times now. Not too easy to make, but not too hard, so you pay attention and the results are a very drinkable beer that will appeal to just about everybody. I would suggest the copper or the irish red ale to start with. Both are fun to make and produce a very drinkable brew.

check out austinhomebrew.com, they have kits, grains, equipment. good selection there.

Brewer's best kits are very good for beginners. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. They include all you need for 5 gallons. I would try their english brown ale, its a very good beer and the brown ales are very forgiving to little mis-steps.

I've brewed a few Brewers best kits, all tasted good. american pale ale is excellent.

A german hefeweisen is one of the easiest to make.

If extract, then the only thing you need is wheat extract and water and an ounce of boil hops (Hallertau).

For all-grain, 50% pale malt and 50% wheat malt and an ounce of boil hops.

Use Wyeast 3068 yeast and it will be ready to bottle in 2 weeks.

My first brew was Midwest's Irish Red Ale (extract version), and it was great, and a good learning experience.

Latest posts

Back