Is this reg worth saving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I have come across this regulator that has seen better days. I would like to use it to force carb in the basement so I wouldn't be fooling with the adjustment screw too much. But I still think it would be a good idea to replace it. Finally I need to complete the connection in the second picture to attach to my tank. Can you please help me determine where I can source these parts?

image-3184723273.jpg

image-514783502.jpg

Any ideas of a vendor that may be able to help me out in identifying the parts needed?

That looks like an MFL fitting, which is confusing. To connect to a CO2 tank you need a CGA 320 fitting. I don't know why that fitting's on there, or the history of this regulator, but to be honest if you're this clueless I'd recommend buying a new one. Anything involving ~1000 PSI can be very dangerous, especially when you're not experienced and using old/sketchy equipment.

I guess this was a secondary regulator, and the MFL fitting was to attach it to a low (~30 psi) pressure regulated CO2 source. Not sure if it could handle the full pressure of a tank.

My regulator looks just like that one old and crusty. Clean it up and check the seals.

That fitting looks like its used for a flexible/remote line from the Co2 tank.

Do you have a local home brew store? They'll have all the fittings you need. The reg may need a rebuild kit - they're pretty easy to install and not too spendy.

This is a secondary Chudnow regulator. It can be converted into a primary by changing out the MFL nipple to a CGA320 Nipple and nut. Chudnow used the same body for their primary and secondary regulators. It should be rated up to 3000PSI (For nitrogen, you would never use CO2 this high) , but VERIFY THIS by reading the back. It will probably say CO2 Gas 2000 PSI Max N Gas 3000 PSI. It should be a JO series regulator. It might need to be rebuilt,but I would try it first and see if it works. Email me at [email protected] or PM me if you need more help.
Todd

Back