keg thefts from brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easy solution is to make the deposit higher than what folks get turning it in at a scrap yard. Home Brewers are not making a dent in the 300,000 kegs that go missing each year IMHO.

I would have no problem putting a $100 deposit on a keg cause I know I would get it back when I returned the keg, and you can bet I would return it promptly.

Those folks who buy kegged beer should be able to afford the deposit.

EdWort said:
The easy solution is to make the deposit higher than what folks get turning it in at a scrap yard. Home Brewers are not making a dent in the 300,000 kegs that go missing each year IMHO.

I would have no problem putting a $100 deposit on a keg cause I know I would get it back when I returned the keg, and you can bet I would return it promptly.

Those folks who buy kegged beer should be able to afford the deposit.

Make the deposit higher and make it nice and rewarding for someone to return one even if they didn't buy it instead of selling it for scrap.

Sorry, didn't see the other threads about the article.

I think the deposits were more than the scrap value of the kegs when they were first set. It's just that the value of scrap metal has risen so much that it makes it worth while to steal the kegs now. The article does mention that the scrap prices have dropped this year so hopefully it will even out a little.

Back