Overly bitter beer? How do i mellow it out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petry121

Reaction score
Just made 10 gallons of an arrogant bastard clone and I may have put too much chinook in at the boil....3 ounces at 60 minutes. When I went to taste the gravity reading it was super bittey. The carboys are now in their third day of fermentation. Is there a way to mellow it out? Vanilla bean.... Oak.... Any ideas?

Best way to mellow it out......let it age. All my brews taste overly bitter before fermentation. Just don't mess with it for the next three weeks and start planning out your next homebrew!

That is indeed a lot of IBUs you went with. But, it will certainly not be as bitter once it's all done and bottled or kegged. Still going to be a bitter brew. But you're jumping the gun on trying to "fix" it. See how it tastes when it's all done and conditioned up, in 3 or 4 weeks.

Aging will do it, but if you want to get experimental you can always blend it with another beer that you might have on hand. I've done that in the past with (albeit, not always) good results. :)

Back