IPL? (India Pale Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruckin78

Reaction score
IS there such a thing?

I have been kicking around the idea to try it....

and IPA fermented with Lager yeast.

I have the equipment to control temps.....But would it be worth the effort? Would a light clean hoppy lager be good?

I can see some pros and cons...

A regular lager would be a bit light for all those hops. But a red lager seems to me like it'd work better. Red Man IPA anyone? Red River IPA?

IS there such a thing?

Would a light clean hoppy lager be good?

Heck yes it would be good....summit maibock is a clean hoppy lager.

I think if you used a maibock style grain bill and fermentation procedure but hopped it up to IPA levels using traditional maibock style hops I think it would be quite tasty.

it works pretty well, but the dry hop is the tricky part. dry hopping doesnt work as well at colder temperatures, but if you dry hop prior to lagering, you'll lose a bit of the nose.

I don't know where you guys get this stuff,but I've absolutely never seen or heard of a single one. Especially the Sam Adam's we only get literally a few of them anywhere around here,& every place seems to get the exact same things. WTGDF????? Some of the other SA's look pretty good. Didn't even know about till now. This distributor needs a colossal ass kickn!

There's a world of difference between an IPA wort fermented with lager yeast (Lagunitas Zephyr) and a "light clean hoppy lager" made with noble hops and zero or minimal crystal malt (Coney Island Sword Swallower). The former is weird, the latter is sublime.

wouldn't the lagering process cause a loss of much of the hop aroma? I guess I see several cons(all the extra time, yeast, temp control of lagering) but I don't see the upside.

Brooklyn Lager has a really good hop character. Definitely not and IPA but it's a good example of a hoppy lager. Haven't had it in a while but that's how I remember it.

I just watched the 2 videos of SA's infinium. Holy cow,a champagne beer style? With help in the learning process of over 2 years to figure out how to make it from weinhestephan in Germany. After seeing it poured & described,it gives me new insights. It's bottle conditioned with a second yeast type as well. And some of the other "extreme beers" they have in those black bottles like the Spanish champagne I've gotten around here in the wooden case with 2 tulip glasses. Freiksne,or something like that. So many beers from commonly known companies I never get to see.

Ballast Point has had an IPL forever, called Fathom. It is fantastic. I have the grain bill:

Fathom IPL 7.5%
IBU 70

2 row 600
Flaked oats 50
Munich10 50
60L 50
Pilsner 550
Flaked barley 100

In lbs I think.

Cheers

You know,between the time I 1st posted in this thread till now,I have been shocked, angered, amazed,& humbled. Thanks for providing that link to Sam Adam's site. I'm feeling revitalized by this thread & that link! I haven't felt like this since we tasted my 1st brew together! I have to thank you all for this feeling,honestly. Wow! Makes me feel better about What I considered going out on a limb trying to reproduce a famous ale from Victorian times With modern extracts vs the original in AG. I only wanted to give the extract brewers something cool to try from history that has been lost on the modern world. I seem to have a knack for thinking outside the box to to reproduce modern takes on some old beers. Seeing them with different eyes than the math minded,or science minded types. Although there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe a new insight was needed? Or am I just jerking off? (lolz,preacher in Blazing Saddles)...:rockin::tank:

Try a Coney Island Human Blockhead. Its a Imperial IPL @ 10% ABV with 7 different hops. I like it

I 1wouldn't call that an "IPL." The label calls it "Imperial American Bock." I guess I'd agree with them or just say it is a Barleywine. ....but anyway, it is DAMN sure a great beer, i don't care what you call it! I wanna clone this one ;)

Human Blockhead is really fantastic :mug:

ug1MH.jpg

I have not attempted a lager yet as I don't have the temperature controlled environment yet. So, please don't slam my question here, as I have not researched the subject. But, what if you went through all of the normal lager steps, but let the temperature come back up a bit at the very end for a week of dry hopping, then bottled or kegged immediately after that and cold crashed? As I've said, I haven't researched it enough, so if it was a stupid suggestion, I apologize, just trying to throw out an idea.

Jack's Abbey out of Framingham Mass. They are redefining the world of lagers and they are all amazing. They do an IPL and now even a double IPL. They are amazing...along with almost all their beers. Did I mention they are amazing? Seriously, best brewery in mass.

Sam Adams has a new seasonal "Double Agent IPL" which is actually pretty tasty.

I just watched the 2 videos of SA's infinium. Holy cow,a champagne beer style? With help in the learning process of over 2 years to figure out how to make it from weinhestephan in Germany. After seeing it poured & described,it gives me new insights. It's bottle conditioned with a second yeast type as well. And some of the other "extreme beers" they have in those black bottles like the Spanish champagne I've gotten around here in the wooden case with 2 tulip glasses. Freiksne,or something like that. So many beers from commonly known companies I never get to see.

Also, union, if you ever see "Deus" at a store and want to spend 30 bucks, pick it up. Infinium is meh to me, but Deus is absolutely fantastic.

New Belgium's Shift is labeled as a Pale Lager, but has a really nice hop profile to it with 29 IBUs. Not quite in the IPA range, still a good hoppy lager.

A regular lager would be a bit light for all those hops. But a red lager seems to me like it'd work better. Red Man IPA anyone? Red River IPA?

Funny, that is exactly what I am brewing! I started this last weekend. Won't know how it test for a few months.
Started with an Irish Red Ale, over hopped, and a Lager yeast.

Will give more details after tasting.

Back