New Double Draft Tower Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryand81

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a single tower draft to a double and ran into an issue. I had no problem in the install. I switched out my tower, installed a 2 line distributor, and connected 2 cornies to the new draft tower. I checked the pour after the install and both worked fine. While the beer that was already on tap was drinkable, the new keg was a new homebrew and needed carbonating. I left the beer alone for the day and checked again the next day. All the CO2 has run out, and there was a leak from the beer out post on my new keg. I am under the assumption that the new CO2 in the system pushed the beer through a loose or leaky post. This probably caused the CO2 to deplete and the beer to remain flat. My concern is that when I checked the second keg (the one previously setup in the single draft system that worked fine) it was flat as well when I tried to check pressure. My question is whether the non-leaking keg would lose all pressure in the span of 24 hours without CO2 feeding into it, or should there have been some remaining in it when I checked. I'm worried there may be more leaks then I think there may be? I'm hoping to salvage the beer tonight after work with some new CO2 and a quick fastening.

I'm guessing that your manifold doesn't have a check valve. This then could have allowed the CO2 from the good keg to escape back through the gas line and out through the leaky keg.

But, I'm really just spitballing here.

That sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully the single leak is all I have. Thanks for the reply!

Your beer should be fine - just recarb it all. And you should upgrade to a 3 guage regulator with seperate regulators for each keg. And if you are only using a distribution manifold, there is a 100% chance that one leaky keg will empty all the CO2 in both kegs plus the CO2 bottle.

Your beer should be fine - just recarb it all. And you should upgrade to a 3 guage regulator with seperate regulators for each keg. And if you are only using a distribution manifold, there is a 100% chance that one leaky keg will empty all the CO2 in both kegs plus the CO2 bottle.

Unless one intends to provide for different carbonation levels (not a bad idea at all) there really isn't a need for a dual regulator. You can run a prodigious number of kegs off a single regulator with a manifold that has integrated check valves, or if not, the user installs in-line check valves on all down-stream gas lines, preferably near the gas QDs.

I run six kegs in my keezer from one regulator (from an external, dual regulator tank - I use the second regulator for flushing and quick-gassing freshly filled kegs). My manifold has six shutoffs, each with an integrated check valve. It all works very well indeed...

Cheers!

Yeah I have heard that, but how would you force carb a new keg? I hit mine with 30lbs for 2 days while the other keg is at serving pressure. I could not imagine having to have everything at the same level and disconnecting while carbing. I also put my IPA and my Stouts at different serving PSIs.

Yeah I have heard that, but how would you force carb a new keg? I hit mine with 30lbs for 2 days while the other keg is at serving pressure. I could not imagine having to have everything at the same level and disconnecting while carbing. I also put my IPA and my Stouts at different serving PSIs.

Providing for force carbing is a bird of another color. I do it with the second regulator, as you do, and it's a nice thing to have. But even with a six faucet keezer, do I need a dual regulator? No. That's all I meant to say...

Cheers!

Back