Possible Skunk Batch...need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nahowa111

Reaction score
Okay, so I attempted to make a Mild Ale back in June. After almost 2 months in the bottle, the beer has little carbonation and has an almost chemical taste. I had tried two things that may have effected it: I had some dry Nottingham yeast that had been in my fridge for several months (though the package said it had another month of freshness) and I also tried using regular cane sugar instead of corn sugar (Had heard it works just as good). Could it be possible to take the bottled beer and put it back in the carboy and try re-fermenting with fresher yeast? Or should I just cut my losses? If after 6 good batches I have one bad, I can live with it, just hate to have to pour it all out. Thanks for any help.

Patience...

No, you can't put it back in a carboy. It's already been fermented, so new yeast won't do much good.

Is the chemical taste you describe an alcohol flavor, or something else? What were you fermentation temps? Some of these flavors will fade with time. I'd leave the beer sit for another few months and try it again.

I hate to say it, but sour is often an infection. I can't see the Nottingham being the problem.

Cane vs. Corn sugar is no big deal...but did you sanitize it first by boiling in water, or just add the sugar straight? The latter can cause infection, although even then, I'd think it would be rare.

Did you take a sip at bottling, and did it taste sour-ish then?

Yes, I always try to sanatize throughly. I did taste funky at bottling, but I was hoping it would improve with time. May have to call it a loss. Thanks both for the feedback

Latest posts

Back