Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmj1980

Reaction score
Does anyone have plan to build a small fermentation chamber that would hold one carboy to do lager fermenting? Thanks

Keep an eye on the local craigslist appliances forum for a chest freezer. That plus a temperature controller (Ranco or Johnson controls) will get you any temp you want.

the alternative is to build a small structure, insulate the *&#$%^ out of it and add a small window air conditioner unit.

If you are looking for plans just search the forum for them, there are tons. I agree you best bet is to get a chest freezer, but with that being said I have made one out of a 1.7 cf dorm fridge and insulated it. Wasn't cheap, but I can get the temp down to low 40's for lagering sitting in a room that is about 65 (basement storage unit).

Search google for "son of fermentation chiller" lots of info I including videos. That will work but a freezer/fridge with a controller is the way to go

I recently bought a 5cu.ft. chest freezer and ranco controller. Works like a charm. Easily fits 6 gal buckets or carboys. I make 10gal batches and use the "brew cube" from AHS. The cube is a perfect fit in the freezer with maybe an inch between the cube and freezer walls (it sits below the hump, so there is a little extra room if you want to store something on the hump). I can also fit 2 corny kegs in it below the hump.

I use mine for the first week of fermentation on ales and then pull them out to finish at room temp if I need the space in the chamber for another batch. I plan to brew some lagers and don't want to have to stop making my "house ales" so I just bought another chest freezer. Buying everything all-new it's less than $250 delivered and taxes paid.

. I make 10gal batches and use the "brew cube" from AHS. The cube is a perfect fit in the freezer with maybe an inch between the cube and freezer walls (it sits below the hump, so there is a little extra room if you want to store something on the hump).

That is awesome! Thank you for that, I never knew that existed!

Here is mine works really well

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-diy-fermentation-chamber-244512/

DSCN3815.jpg

3c5c5c63.jpg

Here's my setup. I got the fridge for free off craigslist and bought a Johnson controller. Just bent the freezer/coolant piece to the back and cut the inside door off. Six gallon carboy fits in there pretty well.

image-1271271967.jpg

I recently bought a 5cu.ft. chest freezer and ranco controller. Works like a charm. Easily fits 6 gal buckets or carboys. I make 10gal batches and use the "brew cube" from AHS. The cube is a perfect fit in the freezer with maybe an inch between the cube and freezer walls (it sits below the hump, so there is a little extra room if you want to store something on the hump). I can also fit 2 corny kegs in it below the hump.

I use mine for the first week of fermentation on ales and then pull them out to finish at room temp if I need the space in the chamber for another batch. I plan to brew some lagers and don't want to have to stop making my "house ales" so I just bought another chest freezer. Buying everything all-new it's less than $250 delivered and taxes paid.

You're gonna kick yourself when i tell you that i use those for my dog's food holder. They're about $15 at Petco. I hope you haven't been paying $50 for them.

Here's my setup. I got the fridge for free off craigslist and bought a Johnson controller. Just bent the freezer/coolant piece to the back and cut the inside door off. Six gallon carboy fits in there pretty well.

Hey ddahl, what size is that fridge?

You're gonna kick yourself when i tell you that i use those for my dog's food holder. They're about $15 at Petco. I hope you haven't been paying $50 for them.

Haha, I sure have. Do they have the same lid and everything?

I might get SWMBO to kick me on this one. She's been wanting to anyway.

Zixxer10R said:
Hey ddahl, what size is that fridge?

Not sure what the actual cube ft is. But its a Kenmore, 16in wide by 29 1/2in tall and 14 1/2in deep inside dimensions. The carboy sits on the bottom shelf. There isn't really enough room for a airlock but a blow off tube works fine.

Back