time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A low gravity belgian ale that doesn't appear on the BJCP... im somewhat new to the Belgian styles... im gonna be pretty much shooting in the dark. It isn't an Ambrée is it?

Light ale? with the possible higher ABV versions being in the IPA category OR the English Pale Ale (bitter) category. (wikipedia)

Nope.

Okay. These beers are traditionally made by the same people as the higher ABV versions.

The higher ABV versions have a lot of commercial success though, whereas there are no (authentic) commercial examples of the mystery style. It's still brewed, it's just not really for sale.

Bottlebomber pretty much already guessed this, but he just wasn't as specific, so I'm going to say: Patersbier.

I probably won't have anything worthy of posting for at least a week or two, so somebody else go ahead and post.

LVBen said:
Patersbier.

Huh... I probably would have never guessed that, because for some reason I was under the impression Patersbier was a light colored beer, like a lager but brewed with belgian yeast, never having seen one.

Ill take it.

ForumRunner_20110919_121017.jpg

ForumRunner_20110919_121048.jpg

Kinda looks like one doesn't it... the beer is probably lighter than it looks in the pics, I tried showing that with the close up

Huh... I probably would have never guessed that, because for some reason I was under the impression Patersbier was a light colored beer, like a lager but brewed with belgian yeast, never having seen one.

It is a tricky one, because patersbier isn't really a style. Instead it is a name applied to a large variety of session beers that are brewed specifically for Trappist monks, so it can be pretty much any color. Technically, his beer isn't really a 'patersbier', unless he is a Trappist monk or he serves it to Trappist monks, but the name patersbier can be given to just about any low-abv Belgian-style beer.

A couple weeks ago, I posted a Belgian Single (low-abv tripel), and I would've accepted Single, Enkel, or Patersbier as a correct answer.

You're all on the right track. This beer style originates in the British Isles
PagodaBrewingCo said:
Scotch Ale?

This is an entire category of beer styles, not a specific style. It would be like guessing Belgian Ale

LVBen said:
It is a tricky one, because patersbier isn't really a style. Instead it is a name applied to a large variety of session beers that are brewed specifically for Trappist monks, so it can be pretty much any color. Technically, his beer isn't really a 'patersbier', unless he is a Trappist monk or he serves it to Trappist monks, but the name patersbier can be given to just about any low-abv Belgian-style beer.

A couple weeks ago, I posted a Belgian Single (low-abv tripel), and I would've accepted Single, Enkel, or Patersbier as a correct answer.

Well given that information MJs clues make a lot more sense now. Since evidently ANY belgian style could have the grain bill reduced to qualify as a Patersbier

PagodaBrewingCo said:
Plus I guessed twice in one day!

I could see enforcing the one guess a day rule if there were dozens of people participating, but as it is it seems like after each clue everyone who wants to takes a guess.

bottlebomber said:
I knew you were going to show up at some strange hour of the night and snag it...

Hahaha awesome. Unfortunately I won't have a picture for 18 hours or so. So somebody can take this one if they want.

looks excellent...don't have any pictures, you'll all have to wait til after work...boy do i need a beer...

I got one I can post in a few hours that will probably be crazy difficult. And unlike most of the trickiest ones I've done, this picture won't be pulled off the Internet (hey... I've won close to 30 times now, you can't really blame me!)

It's a commercial beer I picked up a couple days ago while traveling that actually taught me something new! Though I was vaguely aware of the style, I didn't know the actual details.

So somebody better post before I throw up a real headscratcher!

Oh wait, I didn't read all of heferly's post. Though I COULD get back at him for maybe 1-2 months ago (yes I remember!) posting a picture a mere hour after I won... 'D

settle down boys ;) I need a beer too! Dang dieting. Beer hiatus for a few more weeks, then I'll look nice in my dress at my brother's wedding AND i'll be trashed.

heferly said:
damn emjay...you sound like my mother in law! :p

i'll let you go so you can forgive and forget :mug:

Hahaha

I'm just giving you a hard time :D

It has pretty much always been forgiven, but clearly not forgotten :mug:

I always felt like waiting till 5:00 or some special time was the sign of a true alcoholic... sometimes Im having a beer while brewing at 10am, other times I don't even think about it till 8pm. Last night I didn't drink at all...

Emjay let's see what you've got... I know its going to be a real whore but let's get it going. (In 100 minutes)

Hahaha

I'm just giving you a hard time :D

It has pretty much always been forgiven, but clearly not forgotten :mug:

So yeah... I'll put up a pic if you think you're not going to (5:00 in exactly 100 minutes here), but if you know you WILL be puttingbup

all yours! i'm still 3 hrs from cracking one open :mad:

Geez... you're responding too quickly for me to finish posts I accidentally submitted!

"So yeah... I'll put up a pic if you think you're not going to (5:00 in exactly 100 minutes here), but if you know that you WILL be putting one up, I don't mind waiting. AFAIC, being impatient is useless in this game, because there's really only a limited number of styles and (perhaps more importantly) a limited number of quality hints that can be posted for any given style."

I agree on the waiting until 5:00pm thing though. In fact, MOST days I don't have *any* alcohol whatsoever, and even then it's usually only one (typically with dinner), and rarely exceeding two. The flip side of that coin though is that I also don't adhere to the 5:00 rule if I don't want to. If I want a beer at 2pm, I'll have one - I don't need to wait until some arbitrary time just so I can reassure myself that I don't have a problem. My VERY moderate consumption does a far better job than that.

And unlike an alcoholic (or other people with substance abuse problems), I'm not constantly thinking about drinking 24/7. Though by those standards, I have a SERIOUS substance *design/creation* problem! I can't stop thinking about it 24/7, no matter how hard I try! It is a truly severe addiction!

Back