Ginger Beer using Crystallized ginger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I've been experimenting for a few weeks with ginger beer plant in making ginger beer. I've been making small batches (~2000ml) batches and have been going through a lot of fresh ginger.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of using Crystallized Ginger. I've been looking and some places are offering it as a reasonable price, but I'm not sure if the Sulfur Dioxide will prevent fermentation.

Anyone have any experience?

I have used crystallized ginger in several saisons I've brewed with no ill effects. It just isn't as powerful as fresh.

How does the flavor compare? Is it exactly the same as fresh, just softer, or is it more of a smooth, gentle taste compared to the intense spiciness that fresh ginger can impart?

When crystalized ginger is made, it is basically pieces of fresh ginger that are cooked with a sugar water syrup until virtually all the water has evaporated. The cooking takes out about 70% of the "spiciness" of the ginger. Most of the sharp flavor from the fresh ginger is also cooked out. What's left is more of a mellowed, savory flavor. It's not bad, but it is different from fresh ginger. It also isn't as strongly flavored then fresh ginger, in addition to the change in flavor profile.

Hmmm, interesting to think about. I'm asking because I'm considering adding some to a Belgian Tripel or perhaps a saison, and trying to decide which flavor would best compliment the complex belgian yeast.

That's not a bad idea. I don't think the flavor difference would be enough to be worth the effort of tracking it down.

That's not a bad idea. I don't think the flavor difference would be enough to be worth the effort of tracking it down.

I personally think galengal is much smoother but still with a bite on the end as opposed to ginger. I even grow it now, in pots and spots in the yard. I have always been able to source on the web.

I personally think galengal is much smoother but still with a bite on the end as opposed to ginger. I even grow it now, in pots and spots in the yard. I have always been able to source on the web.
What zone are you in? I'd like to grow some myself, but I'm in 5b and I don't think it would survive the winter here.

What zone are you in? I'd like to grow some myself, but I'm in 5b and I don't think it would survive the winter here.

I am zone 6a/b, I think, I have to look at chart. But, you can definitely grow this in pots/grow bags and move into shed, garage, cold basement, etc. I am getting ready to harvest my roots from the pots I have, and I am letting the patches in ground winter over. They survived their first winter in ground. I am growing what is known as greater galengal.

I am zone 6a/b, I think, I have to look at chart. But, you can definitely grow this in pots/grow bags and move into shed, garage, cold basement, etc. I am getting ready to harvest my roots from the pots I have, and I am letting the patches in ground winter over. They survived their first winter in ground. I am growing what is known as greater galengal.
Thanks. It might be worth trying some in pots and just in the ground. If you're in 6a/b then I'd only be 1/2-1 zone off. The info I've been seeing about cultivation is pretty sketchy.

Hey guys.
I want to make a Saison with crystallized ginger but I have some doubts.
How long should I boil it for? Should I transfer it to the fermenter?
Thanks

Hey guys.
I want to make a Saison with crystallized ginger but I have some doubts.
How long should I boil it for? Should I transfer it to the fermenter?
Thanks
Do you mean you want to make your own crystallized ginger, or are you asking when in your boil for your wort you should add it?

If you want to make your own from fresh ginger, then until the aroma mellows. That's really noticeable, and can take as long as 45 minutes. Or, as little as 10 minutes. It depends on the type and age of the ginger.

If you are talking about adding crystallized ginger to the boil for your wort, then I would add it either just before flameout or to your fermentor when you pitch your yeast. Store bought crystallized ginger has already been cooked to mellowness, and all the sugar will have locked up the water in it and prevented anything nasty from growing in it.

I used crystallized ginger in a ginger saison I just made. I cut it up and dropped it in during the last minute of the boil. When I transferred to the carboy I noticed that it had not melted down or dissolved. Will the ginger still be extracted as it ferments?

Back