warming up malt extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labelgique

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a newbie brewer, i've done one batch so far that's turned out pretty good and am about to start on my second. The first time around, I noticed that it took quite some time for the wort to start boiling again after the malt extract was added to it. The boil is going strong but after the malt is added, it takes a while before it gets to a rolling boil again.

So I was wondering if it's possible to warm up the malt extract first before pouring it in? Microwave? In a pot with hot water? any tips?

Thanks!

I always put my extracts into a pot of hot water. Not boiling mind you, just hot. I usually do this before the boil. This also helps to get the extract out easier. I usually find that it does affect the water temp as much as 20 degrees, but all in all, not too big of a temperature drop. I would definitely suggest heating your extract first.

i always put my extracts into a pot of hot water. Not boiling mind you, just hot. I usually do this before the boil. This also helps to get the extract out easier. I usually find that it does affect the water temp as much as 20 degrees, but all in all, not too big of a temperature drop. I would definitely suggest heating your extract first.

+1

I grab a pot just about as tall as the extract and put the extract can into it. After that I use an electric teakettle to boil a full kettles worth of water and pour it in.

I let it sit this past brew session for about 20 minutes and when I went to pour I was shocked at how easy it was; no spoons or scraping; within 30 seconds the entire thing was in the kettle.

Back