Orange Blossom Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haz

Reaction score
So, I pulled the recipe out of Schramm's book, everything is going fine so far. The honey I bought for the mead is probably the best I've ever tasted.

I'm kind of jumping the gun, but I got to thinking about splitting it up into a couple of gallon glass jugs and experimenting with some oak and cinnimon for aging once fermentation is complete. Just wanted to get some input for people that have done this before, i.e. amounts to toss in and issues that I might encounter that weren't listed in the book.

I was also concerned about oxidizing the mead once I move it around. If I age the remaining 3 gallons in my 5 gallon carboy, should I be worried? Or should I try to keep the liquid packed in as tightly as possible?

I would not age your 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. They sell 3 gallon carboys. Get one of those before you rack off into your tester gallons.

I would not age your 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. They sell 3 gallon carboys. Get one of those before you rack off into your tester gallons.

Kind of what I thought too, thank you for the input. I suppose I should suppress the urge to cheap out as much as possible, since the honey was kind of pricey. :D

I believe the consensus is to use ~1 oz. of oak chips for 4-6 weeks...

As for cinnamon; use sticks, but I wouldn't use more than 1-2 sticks per gallon.

No need for a 3 gallon carboy is your going to rack and bulk age in 1-gallon jugs, but I personally love my 3-gallon carboys ;)

No answers for you, but I had to agree about the orange blossom honey. I have some from fruitwoodhoney in NJ that is the best I've ever had as well. Been using it in my brews and ciders, but will probably do a 3-gal mead batch to finish it up soon.

I believe the consensus is to use ~1 oz. of oak chips for 4-6 weeks...

As for cinnamon; use sticks, but I wouldn't use more than 1-2 sticks per gallon.

No need for a 3 gallon carboy is your going to rack and bulk age in 1-gallon jugs, but I personally love my 3-gallon carboys ;)

Awesome, thank you.

I plan on pulling 2 gallons out into seperate 1-gallon jugs; so I'll have to use a 3 gallon carboy for the remainder.

Back