Alabama Homebrew Legalization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grimster, I'm not sure I heard about it thru carboy junkies group I belong too. Wondering if I can get more information?

The strange part is the Sheriff Department. I wasn't aware they could inforce with out ABC involvement. So that being said Blount County is Dry. Might have some werid local laws on books.

thats the problem with this whole story, we dont know anymore than I just told everyone, and the ABC may have been involved, we just dont know yet. and NO, we dont need the press!
we really need to wait and see what he says in the next couple of days to clarify.

I agree that we need clarification but seems like press on a ridiculous issue would help his and our cause.

I agree that we need clarification but seems like press on a ridiculous issue would help his and our cause.

not if he was doing something else illegal that caused it to happen instead of just being "set up" like he has alluded too.
the problem is we dont yet know the circumstances and I dont think we should promote anything until we know the specifics.
as far as the ABC, I am sure they were in the big blue trucks that were hauling off his stuff. I have several friends in my local sherrifs dept that have said repeatedly that they have NEVER acted on an alcohol manufacturer warrant without the ABC's involvement and they did, in fact not know of any county agency that had in the whole state.
I think we should wait till the guy clarifys what actually happened instead of speculatimg and jumping the gun on this thing, it may well have been his fault for getting singled out.

not if he was doing something else illegal that caused it to happen instead of just being "set up" like he has alluded too.

I don't know how well you know the fella but I'm gonna be surprised if the homebrew is the root cause of any warrants, but we may never actually know.

I don't know how well you know the fella but I'm gonna be surprised if the homebrew is the root cause of any warrants, but we may never actually know.

I dont know the guy at all, that was my point,
I would be surprised as well if JUST homebrewing was the root cause of this, I also agree that we may never know what happened.

I can only say that any state with alcohol laws that are more whacky than Georgia have a big problem, and so far, that only includes Alabama and Pennsylvania.

i'm going to speculate that a neighbor saw a wort chiller or something and called in a tip on a potential meth lab. that would explain the county LE involvement.

i'm going to speculate that a neighbor saw a wort chiller or something and called in a tip on a potential meth lab. that would explain the county LE involvement.

They're probably looking at all the carboys, air locks, bottling buckets and wands, scratching their heads going "Hey Bubba, how the hell is this **** used to make meth?" "Dunno man but what else COULD it be used for?"

They're probably looking at all the carboys, air locks, bottling buckets and wands, scratching their heads going "Hey Bubba, how the hell is this **** used to make meth?" "Dunno man but what else COULD it be used for?"

That is almost exactly what I had in mind... except the Bubba part, I was thinking Cleetus.

I should mention to any LEO's here, I don't hate cops, my best friend is about to become a detective (first for his city) and I sometimes hang out with him at work and buy the guys dinner or something. I am not a cop hating hippie.

I should mention to any LEO's here, I don't hate cops, my best friend is about to become a detective (first for his city) and I sometimes hang out with him at work and buy the guys dinner or something. I am not a cop hating hippie.

aye, I hadn't thought of that but I should probably also point out that I have nothing against cops, just idiots.

so... please don't pull me over and ticket me for a "broken tail light" :fro:

So I can use my beer equipment to make meth, too?? Bonus!!!!

Edit: I am joking!

still no word on any of the forums im on, that doesnt mean he hasnt responded somewhere, just not where I originally saw it posted.

Did someone start a new post? I don't see any explanations :(

no, but weve been trying to get him to at least acknowledge that he wasnt distilling. the lack of comment from him saying anything but, "I would hope that everyone knows to take media with a grain of salt." after the Blount citizen ran their story makes it hard to stomach. until he makes an effort to clear this up, the group of us here trying to get the Homebrewing laws changed arent going forward in support.
I really hope, for his sake that this doesnt turn out to be another really good guy that gets caught doing something other than homebrewing.

no, but weve been trying to get him to at least acknowledge that he wasnt distilling. the lack of comment from him saying anything but, "I would hope that everyone knows to take media with a grain of salt." after the Blount citizen ran their story makes it hard to stomach. until he makes an effort to clear this up, the group of us here trying to get the Homebrewing laws changed arent going forward in support.
I really hope, for his sake that this doesnt turn out to be another really good guy that gets caught doing something other than homebrewing.

Can anyone find a case anywhere of someone in Alabama getting popped for JUST homebrewing as in homebrew is what got the LEO attention to begin with and homebrewing was the only "crime" they committed? Just curious really.

I still support the guy still or not because I don't agree with that federal law either. It's a law created by Halmiton in order create a tax to help pay for the federal gov and there were a lot of heavy drinkers back then so it fit.

Now if he was selling either product, I'd have an issue.

I still support the guy still or not because I don't agree with that federal law either. It's a law created by Halmiton in order create a tax to help pay for the federal gov and there were a lot of heavy drinkers back then so it fit.

Yeah making anything for personal use, whether's a little toke, a little smoke, a little drink, or some shots of something stronger, shouldn't be illegal, selling it of course amounts to tax evasion regardless of the law.

I understand your position, but I cant support the action as it relates to homebrewing laws and the perception that homebrewers are bootleggers or moonshiners.
we have to separate ourselves from the idea that we are making and/or selling illegal alcohol and the typical stereotype is that anyone homebrewing is making moonshine.
as far as I am concerned, we as a group trying to get the homebrewing law changed, dont need any negative publicity that creates an impression that we engage in any activity that is related to the manufacture and/or sale of distilled spirits.
if he really has been scapegoated by someone or setup, I will be the first to support him. but until he can find a way to clear up the details, we as a group have to assume the worst and prepare to answer questions that WILL be posed to our sponsor next session.
ALCAP, will jump on this next year if it turns out that he was distilling or selling anything he made, you can bet on it, and while that in and of itself isnt really that big of a deal, the perception thing is huge.

I agree we should be taking on the beer issue. Because the federal government has givin us this right that our state is denying us.

The problem is that it's impossible to make the same economic argument than was possible in the case of sales of higher ABV beers. You can't present a picture of all those people driving to GA or FL to buy their refreshment, thereby doing AL out of all that revenue. There's no net gain involved for the State of Alabama in legalizing homebrewing...and don't give me any stuff about legislators doing the right thing. No politician ever did anything except the expedient thing. The question is.....what's the expedient thing here?

I can only see one way out, and it's fairly messy. From what I've read in this thread and others, barring some huge change in Alabama politics there's a path to success, if homebrewers have the stomach for it. Get as manyhomebrewers committed as possible, and on a given day, publicly announced, thousands of homebrewers are mashing and doing boils in their driveway. This may cost a lot of people.....but probably not. Something of that magnitude is likely to get Alabama in the national media in ways they'd rather not. Threats of making a big enough splash may do it where nothing else will.

Do I think this is even possible? Not very, I suppose, and the state may simply ignore it, as there'll doubtless be little demand from any constituency to enforce the law......

I can only see one way out, and it's fairly messy. From what I've read in this thread and others, barring some huge change in Alabama politics there's a path to success, if homebrewers have the stomach for it. Get as manyhomebrewers committed as possible, and on a given day, publicly announced, thousands of homebrewers are mashing and doing boils in their driveway. This may cost a lot of people.....but probably not. Something of that magnitude is likely to get Alabama in the national media in ways they'd rather not. Threats of making a big enough splash may do it where nothing else will.
I'd be willing to pack up my stuff and join someone across the state line to do it. I'd call it Outlaw Pale Ale.

I'd be willing to pack up my stuff and join someone across the state line to do it. I'd call it Outlaw Pale Ale.

Hmm , any way to make it public. like everyone mashing and brewing, in one place, a park or something. But don't pitch until home. so no crime committed, but all the press.

Hmm , any way to make it public. like everyone mashing and brewing, in one place, a park or something. But don't pitch until home. so no crime committed, but all the press.

I like the way you think!

If I had the money to travel, I'd join in on that but wonder if they'd fine/arrest for having brewing paraphernalia...

Personally though, get friends from out of state, like a club, to host a few Alabama reps/senators/politicians for a brew day/cookout and have people bring along a variety of beer styles that normally aren't in Alabama. Seriously, who would turn down free beer and possibly a burger or hotdog?

Do I think this is even possible? Not very, I suppose, and the state may simply ignore it, as there'll doubtless be little demand from any constituency to enforce the law......

I agree 100% but I am willing to give our legislators and those controlling their puppet strings another year considering the progress that was made in 2010. However, if next spring homebrewing is still illegal I will to help organize a state wide Wort Making Day.

The problem is that it's impossible to make the same economic argument than was possible in the case of sales of higher ABV beers. You can't present a picture of all those people driving to GA or FL to buy their refreshment, thereby doing AL out of all that revenue. There's no net gain involved for the State of Alabama in legalizing homebrewing...and don't give me any stuff about legislators doing the right thing. No politician ever did anything except the expedient thing. The question is.....what's the expedient thing here?

There actually is some economic benefit to the state. Think about how much you spent on brewing ingredients and equipment last year. Those of us in the legalization effort figured that an average homebrewer probably spends around $1000 per year on this hobby. With homebrewing presently illegal, there are very few shops in Alabama in which to purchase ingredients and equipment (it's really sad that the best shop within reasonable driving distance is the infamous kegkits.com). Based on numbers from AHA membership and various multipliers, we estimated that there are perhaps as many as 1000 homebrewers in the state. So that's $1M being sent out of state each year and an associated sales tax revenue of nearly $100,000 that the state doesn't receive.

That's the immediate monetary consequences of leaving homebrewing illegal (I realize not everyone will immediately start buying ingredients in state even if the shops were someone to open on the day the bill was signed, but if even 1/4 of the estimated money was kept in the Alabama economy, it would be sufficiently beneficial). But there are side benefits as well. A thriving legal homebrewing hobby will necessitate local homebrew shops, which introduce additional jobs in the community. Most commercial breweries were founded by former homebrewers, and more breweries means more jobs and more alcohol tax revenue for the state.

These are the kinds of points we're trying to stress with the legislators.

If I had the money to travel, I'd join in on that but wonder if they'd fine/arrest for having brewing paraphernalia...

Personally though, get friends from out of state, like a club, to host a few Alabama reps/senators/politicians for a brew day/cookout and have people bring along a variety of beer styles that normally aren't in Alabama. Seriously, who would turn down free beer and possibly a burger or hotdog?

Great idea. Call it Lobby Stout.

It's insane that one can legally buy/sell the equipment in this state but can't use it. I bought my first pieces of equipment from a homebrew store in Mobile.

we are in a holding pattern at the moment, we were led to believe that certain conversations were taking place by our sponsor and the "other" interested parties and that the best course was to let the sponsor handle it. we are all anxious, but seeing that there is really nothing going on until next January, there is really nothing to do. thanks for the help, and I am sure you will be hearing from us after the beginning of next years Legislative session.
thanks again.

I just heard that Alabama is close to passing Medical Marijuana but you still can't home brew?!?!?!?!?

Is that true?

One thing you should understand about my home state: it has a small problem with being stuck in the 30's. The income tax system was set up in the 30's, so a single mother of 2 making $7000 a year will pay income tax. On the bright side, the taxes are, overall, pretty low.

A few years ago, I think it was during the Kerry/Bush contest, we saw a little public referendum item on the ballot proposing the legalization of blacks and whites getting married. I'm proud to say that it passed, while I'm a little embarrassed that it was only by about a 2/3 majority. Still, if we managed to change that unenforceable law, perhaps we can change another one soon. Our anti-homebrew statute was written, of course, in the 30's. In Alabama, we have a saying: "thank God for Mississippi." In a pretty reliable fashion, they keep us from being 50th in things like adult literacy and from being first in things like our obesity rate. It's coming down to the wire between us and them on who gets to be the last state in the union to legalize homebrewing. After listening to some of the "debate" in our house of representatives, I'm a little nervous about the outcome of this particularly important contest with Mississippi.

I found out this week that one of the sponsors of the bill to legalize my hobby was my local representative who lives in my own neighborhood. I can't say I know him any more than through the friendly exchange of waves occasionally when I am walking to work and he is driving to his job. Sadly, this heroic bill sponsor was among the several co-sponsors who inexplicably switched sides and voted against it. Actually, there are explanations involving pressure from Anheuser Busch and/or the Baptists, though he has not admitted to such explanations. I haven't decided what to do about this yet, but it's nice to know where he lives.

Being stuck in the 30's is not a small problem. Georgia is stuck in the 60's, maybe 70's tops. Even that is a big problem, seeing as that was 40 to 50 years ago.
Best of luck, buddy. You got my support. Someone, possibly in this thread, suggested a public demonstration to protest the law. The idea was to brew in Alabama, bring the wort across the Georgia state line, and pitch the yeast. I'd be in.

Being stuck in the 30's is not a small problem. Georgia is stuck in the 60's, maybe 70's tops. Even that is a big problem, seeing as that was 40 to 50 years ago.
Best of luck, buddy. You got my support. Someone, possibly in this thread, suggested a public demonstration to protest the law. The idea was to brew in Alabama, bring the wort across the Georgia state line, and pitch the yeast. I'd be in.

Ah, the 60's and 70's bring back fond memories. Actually, I lived in Georgia then.

Yes, our problem is not small; I just think I sound cool when I say something by way of understatement.

That sounds like a nice idea for a protest. I live pretty close to the state line, so it might be convenient for me. Of course, I will only submit to anonymous interviews with the press. You've probably heard of the case in which an interviewed homebrewer received a threatening visit from Alabama Beverage Control.

Back