Brazed SS Plate Heat Exchanger Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I just found a 40 plate heat exchanger that comes with 1/2" FNPT already installed for 105.00 delivered.

The dimensions are:
7.5"L x 2 7/8"W x 4"D. I originally was going to buy from duda diesel but I have called their several times and noone but the owner can answer technical questions and he is gone for a month no sale for them I guess...........so I ask:

Do you guys think this will work for me for chiling 10-11 gallon batches?
(I plan to steep my hops in a bag and prefilter, so clogging wont happen)

I know it is dependant on tap water temps, but in general, does it sound like a decent deal?

Thanks
Joe

I assume you're talking about this? The auction lists it as 316SS, but it's actually 304SS. Not a big deal, though.

I bought the 30 plate version of the same heat exchanger (1/2" fittings) from Duda for $85 shipped. So, $105 for the 40 plate is a reasonable price.

I tried to put a pic up but gave up.......That is the one.

How does the 30 plate version working for you?

How does the 30 plate version working for you?

I get 0.5 gal/min of hot wort throughput at ~70F with 3 gal/min ~60F pre-chilled tap water. So, I water my lawn with 30 gallons of water to chill a 5 gallon batch in 10 minutes.

So, at my water rate ($0.25572 per 100 gallons) is costs me $0.08 in water charges plus $2 for a large bag of ice.

Sounds great....how do you prechill the hose water?

It sounds like you have a HERMS system and run it through the coils first then to the plate exchanger?

Sounds great....how do you prechill the hose water?

It sounds like you have a HERMS system and run it through the coils first then to the plate exchanger?

No, the pre-chiller is currently 25ft of 3/8" copper coil. I plan to use my existing counterflow chiller and a pump submerged in ice water as a pre-chiller once my new rig is complete. The ground water in TX is 80 - 85F during the summer.

Excellent idea. I have a two tier RIMS. My HLT is above the other two. I'll use my old IC, add ice to my HLT and water put some ends on it for the hose water to pre-chill in the copper before it goes to the chiller application and I'll be good to go.

So you are happy with the performance of the 30 plate chiller?

Think this would work in place of a herms hex?

Not sure what a HERMS hex is, but I'd rather you not hijack my thread please. :D

Back