Oatmeal Stout FG - 1.025

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
So after 2.5 weeks of my oatmeal stout being in primary, it's FG read 1.025. Could this be because I took the sample halfway through bottling? Or did the yeast really just not like the conditions it was fermenting in, even though it was kept at 68F (the beer temp, not ambient).

Or possibly this is normal for a stout, though I wouldn't think it is. It tastes great, just less alcohol than I imagined.

Whats the recipe? That's pretty high? You said you already bottled? Was this after you added the priming sugar?

Whats the recipe? That's pretty high? You said you already bottled? Was this after you added the priming sugar?

The recipe was the kit from Homebrewers.com:

7lbs Dark LME
8oz flaked oats
4oz roasted barley
1oz northern brewer
Danstar Munich

The estimated FG according to Beersmith is 1.015.

I did bottle already. I forgot to take the hydrometer sample until half the bottles were already filled (meaning, yes, after priming sugar) so the sample was taken at that time.

well then you took a gravity reading with the Sugar already added, so you will have to subtract what ever gravity points the priming sugars adds. The FG is supposed to be taken before adding the priming sugar.

well then you took a gravity reading with the Sugar already added, so you will have to subtract what ever gravity points the priming sugars adds. The FG is supposed to be taken before adding the priming sugar.

Ok, that makes sense *slaps forehead*. The potential of corn sugar is 1.046, so how would I minus that from my FG? I thought about subtracting the two, getting the result of .021 then subtracting that number from my FG, but that would leave 1.004, which for some reason seems too low to me but would be a 6.26 ABV.

what size batch was this and how much corn sugar did you add? You should be able to plug that in to brew software to find out what gravity it adds

what size batch was this and how much corn sugar did you add? You should be able to plug that in to brew software to find out what gravity it adds

5 gal batch, 5oz priming sugar. I added the sugar into the recipe list of the brew on beersmith, but it only added .001 point to the estimated and actual FG. I figure I'm doing it wrong.

5 gal batch, 5oz priming sugar. I added the sugar into the recipe list of the brew on beersmith, but it only added .001 point to the estimated and actual FG. I figure I'm doing it wrong.

That sounds about right, not very much but does add some. Which means you are still high on your FG.

How/what temp did you do your mash for the grains?

Is it possible he got an inaccurate reading cus the priming sugar solution was not mixed well with the beer at priming.?

The priming sugar is 3-4 points, so your FG is around 1.021. Not too bad. Did you adjust the attenuation for the Munch yeast?

The batch was extract, so no grain mash. As far as attenuation for the Munch yeast, what do you mean? Forgive me, I'm very wet behind the ears on the more technical stuff.

Latest posts

Back