Extra Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Hey all, just had a quick question. I made a Red Ale, my 3rd batch, and it is just a good taste with minimal extract twang. What can I modify to give it extra carbonation? I am using kits from Northern Brewer and just using the priming sugar that they provide. If I add a slight amount extra of priming sugar would I add extra carbonation (I don't care if it is appropriate for any particular style) or just be risking bottle bombs? I just don't want stuff blowing up in my parent's basement (a consistent 65 F perfect for fermenting ales.) Thanks everyone for your help!

Actually as important as the amount of sugar, the graivty of the beer and the temp of storage has a bigger bearing on thing..

at how many weeks are you tasting/openning your beer and declaring it under carbed/tasting funny?

How long and at what temp are you storing them to carb? If it's under three weeks minimum and below 70 degrees (for NORMAL grav beers), when you are testing them, then there is nothing wrong but impatience...Storage temp, and gravity are the two most important important factors in carbing and conditioning...

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

ANd even if they are carbed the flavor might still be off...that's called bottle conditioning.

ALL beers will reach their level of carbonation eventually. In fact, it's possible (and proven by running the numbers in beersmith) to NOT add priming sugar and get minimal carbonation of a few volumes in time (in old brewing british brewing books they didn't add sugar to some ordinary bitters, and milds and relied on time and temp to do the work naturally. in fact if you run the recipes from the books in beersmith many of them give you NEGATIVE sugar amount to reach the lowest volume of co2 for the style range-and that NO SUGAR would often get you either mid carbing range or the highest volume of co2 depending ont he recipe.)

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. There's even a video.

If you added the amount of sugar that came with your kit, then that is the correct amount of sugar....most beers carb at around 2-2.5 volumes of co2, and for most beers that is 4.5-5 ounces of sugar...that is plenty.

Just make sure they are at 70 degrees and don't worry about taste or carbonation until it has been AT LEAST 3 weeks at 70....I never even concern myself til 8 weeks......

If you are storing them at 65 they are going to take longer, no if, and or buts. In my apartment in the winter it can take forever for my beer to carb up, even low grav beers...

5 degrees may not seem a lot to you, but to a micro-organism like yeast that is a huge difference from 70 degrees...all the sugar in the world you might want to add won't help carb it, not if the yeasties are too sluggish to want to eat it...

Bring them upstairs and find the warmest closet in your place where it is above 70 degrees, and give them a couple more weeks, they will be fine.

Back