Fast ferment-how long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
So I made a pumpkin ale that I intended to keep in the primary for 2 weeks to allow plenty of settling. (I do not have a secondary to use at this time). I had a fast and vigorous fermentation of about 24-36 hours and have not heard a peep from my airlock since. (The temps were/are fine). Now I'm wondering, should I bottle after a week? I am worried about letting it just sit in there doing nothing with possible yeast lysing. Thank you.

It won't hurt anything to let it sit for 2 weeks, in fact it would probably be better. The beer would condition more and clear more as well. I'd let it sit another week.

veggiess said:
So I made a pumpkin ale that I intended to keep in the primary for 2 weeks to allow plenty of settling. (I do not have a secondary to use at this time). I had a fast and vigorous fermentation of about 24-36 hours and have not heard a peep from my airlock since. (The temps were/are fine). Now I'm wondering, should I bottle after a week? I am worried about letting it just sit in there doing nothing with possible yeast lysing. Thank you.

Two weeks isn't long enough to be a problem. Sometimes I will leave an ale on the trub for 2-3 weeks because I want to have the cake available for pitching. My Old Dog Brown fermented in 18 hours & I left it there for 14 days before I was ready to brew the Bent Rod Rye.

Back