Racking to keg...found bug stuck to side of bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Tonight I was racking my oatmeal stout into my keg. About a quarter gallon in I see a bug stuck to the side of the bucket. It is fly/bee like. It is small like a house fly but has the body of a bee...baby bee maybe lol

Anyway, I'm not terribly worried at this point since it got down to expected gravity and it didn't look infected. I don't know when the bug got in. The only time I opened it was two days ago to check the gravity. But seeing as it was stuck to the side about an inch down I assume it went in during the brew day at some point.

I know it is ok but I need you guys to tell me it is lol...no seriously though I guess the only thing I am semi worried about is wild bacteria giving it off flavors when it conditions/carbs in the keg for the next two weeks. I tasted it when I took the reading and it tasted fine so lets hope nothing else grows.

Without knowing at what rate you pitched the yeast, I'd say it was enough to counteract whatever bacteria your bug was carrying. That's actually one of the reasons to use a starter... so that if you did get an infection, it would be outpaced by the yeast production of toxic byproducts: alcohol and co2. :mug:

Without knowing at what rate you pitched the yeast, I'd say it was enough to counteract whatever bacteria your bug was carrying. That's actually one of the reasons to use a starter... so that if you did get an infection, it would be outpaced by the yeast production of toxic byproducts: alcohol and co2. :mug:

I did use a starter :rockin:

Just call the beer Dead Bee Stout. Don't tell anyone why.

Hahaha I like it. That is what I am calling it. It works well with my other beer on tap right now...Dead Guy Ale clone lol

Considering that much of the rest of the world eat bugs as a delicacy, I'd say you're fine as long as you didn't get an infection in the beer.

True fact: one of the early names of the collegiate teams from the University of Nebraska - Lincoln was the Bugeaters.

What are you going to do if this is the best beer you've ever tasted?

Take up a new hobby?

Bees-copyright-inmidtown.jpg

Back