Hot apple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patmac47

Reaction score
I racked my first batch of apple wine to a secondary and due to "smell" had to move it to the basement. Being a basement, it was way to cold, so I fired up an oil heater on low and put it near the secondary. It went fine for about 6 days but now has stopped bubbling. Checked the temp and it was at 78.0. I turned off the oil heater and checked the temp again yesturday. It was at 72 but still no action. There is no off smells or anything "it smells like beer".

So, the question is, can I restart this batch and if so will it taste really bad?
If I restart it, should I rack it again to get it off any dead yeast or other foulness?

how long was it in the primary?

have you taken a hydrometer reading to see what your gravity is?

It's possible that's it's fermenting at a slow speed (slow enough to not cause any air lock acitivity).

take a hyrdo reading if you can - and post the recipe and when you started it...

but in short - you're probably fine.

I started this on the 29th of Dec. The OG was 1.085 and on the 3rd it was 1.035. I took a reading yesterday and it was already at .995. The first six day in the secondary was like a bubble machine.

your fermentation's done more than likely if it's at .995, but leave it alone until it clears...and it probably won't bubble much any more - if it does it's likely just some CO2 coming out of solution...

Back