Dried syrup on the bottom of my empty bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
So apparently I didn't wash out my bottles too well while drinking my current brew, and there is a dried syrup at the bottom. My bottling brush doesn't work too well because the majority of the syrup is on the very bottom. Will oxyclean free make short work of this, or should I just get new bottles?

syrup? That's likely either beer or most likely, yeast sediment. I usually let some oxy sit in them or warm them up a tad on the stove (low heat, gradual raise in temp) w/ some water inside the bottle to loosen the crud.

Do you have a bottle washer (the one that you hook up to the faucet)? Soaking them first in Oxyclean and then using the bottle washer with hot water should do it, but if not, the boil idea is good too.

Next time rinse your bottles out when you're done ;)

Yeah it's beer and yeast sediment, but it looks a lot like syrup. That's why I called it syrup.

I don't have a bottle cleaner. I'll try the warm water + oxyclean idea.

Actually, do one or the other - some cleaners work better in cold water, and if Oxyclean indeed used "oxygen" or whatever... well, cold water can hold more oxygen than can warm water (thank you Bachelor's degree in Cave Geology). I'd try the warm water first - you can probably just boil them - and use Oxyclean to get the rest. Hope that helps!

Do you have a bottle brush? If you do mix up some hot water and some oxi clean and run the brush in and out while spinning, the'll be just like new.

if your lazy like me. fill a bucket about 1/3 with your favorite cleaning solution. set the bottles in and push them under until they fill and sink. I can get 10-12 bottles in each bucket. the next day a quick brush and they are ready for the dishwasher(no soap or rinsing agent). If SWMBO is your dishwasher, its time you learn.;)

Back