identifying hops from leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobbins

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I planted 2 each of Cascade, Nugget, and Willamette rhizomes this spring
only 4 made it, I think I have 2 Cascade and 1 each of the other 2
does anybody know where I can find some pictures on the web to try to confirm my id?
I know where I planted what but the 2 that aren't Cascade both seem to have the same leaf, the Cascade is clearly different

TIA

Dave

so what you're telling me is I have no choice except to brew MANY batches of beer and do extensive/exhaustive taste testing to determine the variety of my little weeds?

RATS:mug:

am I correct in thinking I can get a clue from the look of the cones?
I have it narrowed down to 3 varieties

Dave

interesting
the 2 I'm sure are Cascade don't have a very deeply lobed leaf
the other 2 look similar and are deeply lobed
I'll just have to let things run their course and see what I get
I "think" I know what's what:drunk:

Thanks for the link

Dave

so what you're telling me is I have no choice except to brew MANY batches of beer and do extensive/exhaustive taste testing to determine the variety of my little weeds?

RATS:mug:

am I correct in thinking I can get a clue from the look of the cones?
I have it narrowed down to 3 varieties

Dave

1st paragraph------Yes
2nd paragraph------No

I believe Evan was correct when he said
"Good luck. I don't think there's any way to identify strains short of lab analysis."

Sorry

There's only 3-4 leaf types, so you need to look at the sidearm formation and cones as well.

Also, plants are not completely consistent. I've been taking pictures of my plants for a couple weeks and for some the leaf shape is always the same. Then there's Fuggles, I have pictures of a one-lobe, a two-lobe and a three-lobe leaf all on the same bine, within a few inches of each other.

When the gallery stops being difficult, I'll add the pictures.

keep in mind these plants are only 6 weeks old and I'm not going to harvest anything from them for probably over a year
by that time I'll be able to look at cones/leaves/branching behavior etc
I think I know what's what, just that the Nugget and Willamette look very similar

Dave

I tend to agree with drobbins that ther is a difference between my centenial and nugget leaves. I will have to go out and actually do a side by side study to really go into detailed differences.

Last year I planted Cascade and Nugget. The Cascade was by far the better performer. It grew much taller and had a bigger harvest. Shouldn't be too hard to single out. Also check for a citrus aroma.

I've been offered some hops from a friend of a friend who is not a homebrewer but grows them because they look good on his trellis. He has no idea what they are so I think I'll just sniff them and pair them with similar smelling ones for dry hopping. What could go wrong?

Back