Is this normal? (Pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green1181

Reaction score
I made 3 batches of different beer 2 weeks ago, They did sit a little longer in the primary and there was very little foam on the top of all 3. On the Red Ale there is this white stuff on the top, the pic is not too clear but it doesn't look like mold, more like yeast or something, I have just never seen this before..is the beer still good? and what is it?

IMG_4422.jpg

That stuff happened to me once - I worried and fretted about it and ended up drinking it as I really had few options.

I had to throw all the beer out. It ruined my fermenter, so I had to throw that out. My brother tasted the hydrometer sample and spent 3 weeks in the hospital from intestinal bacterial infection and I had bottle bombs.

Donasay said:
I had to throw all the beer out. It ruined my fermenter, so I had to throw that out. My brother tasted the hydrometer sample and spent 3 weeks in the hospital from intestinal bacterial infection and I had bottle bombs.

Are you serious? This is going to give me nightmares.

Donasay said:
No, its a joke.

Are you sure? Becuase I read about this one guy who took a sip of infected beer and his head exploded exactly 12 hours later :p

Seriously it looks like bubbles to me, nothing to worry about.

Ooompa Loompa said:
Are you sure? Becuase I read about this one guy who took a sip of infected beer and his head exploded exactly 12 hours later

Dude, I saw that movie. That rocked!

Donasay said:
That stuff happened to me once - I worried and fretted about it and ended up drinking it as I really had few options.

didn't take long for THAT one to get recycled!

:fro:

looks like those styrofoam packing bits to me.

did you boil the dried extract so it all dissolved?

it does look scary.

wonder what it is. maybe you should call in the hasmat team!

It does look like little styrofoam bits, It was just a kit, boiled it and added malt extract. It will be time to take the hydrometer reading in a couple days so i'll
see how it smells and hopefully not get too sick.

Latest posts

Back