Crankandstein bushings - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I'm trying to adjust the gap in my crankandstein mill, and the instructions say hammer out the bushings then I guess spin them into a position where the gap is smaller. I'm hammering on these things and they don't seem to be coming out. I don't want to ruin the mill, am I doing this right?

I am a retired tool and die maker. Why do you want to remove the bushings? If they are not worn there is no need to remove them.

Most adjustable grain crushers adjust by rotating the excentric bushings (aluminum with a bore that is off center) and you do not need to remove them to adjust them. The normal gap is .038 to .040 inch. Use a feeler guage to set the gap.

To remove the bronze bushings you need a suitable piloted driver and an arbor press if they were loctite'd in position. Heating to 250F will allow easy removal using an arbor press. If using a hammer you still need the driver because if you mushroom the bushing or the hole you can ruin the bore and a new bushing will not fit. Furthermore the shaft will no longer fit either. Get help from a machine shop if you feel uneasy about this.

Back