RubberMaid 10gal spigot Hole size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steel120

Reaction score
Hello: New to forum and first post.

I am getting a christmas present for my son, who is the brewer. I have ordered two 10 gal rubbermaid coolers, and need to know the opening size of the hole where the spigot is located. Model is 1610 rubbermaid round typical cooler used by many on this board and it what I have ordered, but not on hand yet.

I need to know opening size so I can get the rest of the components to modify the cooler. I am interested in 1/2" spigots setup vs the normal 3/8" as used in
FlyGuy post on the board.

Can anyone help

Thanks in advance Bob

This is a DIY project similiar to the unit FlyGuy posted.

Welcome to HBT!

To answer your question, the cooler has an approximately 3/4" hole for the spigot. If you use the grommet/seal that is on the original spigot, it has an opening that will accommodate a 3/8 nipple perfectly. With a bit of effort, you can squeeze a 1/2" nipple through it if you want to use a 1/2" ball valve and fittings.

FlyGuy: Thanks for the quick respone.

I am thankful for your post on the DIY on the Rubbermaid. I know nothing about
brewing, but putting this together for my sons Christmas Present.

I purchased two rubbermaid 1610's from Tool Up, but they have not yet arrived.

I am not sure why two coolers, I understand that one is for the grain mixture, is the other used for controlling the hot water that is applied to the grain?

Anyway thanks very much..

Bob

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year..

My pleasure Bob -- glad you found the information useful. That is going to make an AWESOME gift for your son - I am sure anyone here would be envious of such a thoughtful and incredible gift.

Regarding the two coolers -- the second one isn't entirely necessary, but VERY handy for all-grain brewing, particularly if you fly sparge (a particular technique in all grain brewing). That second cooler is used as a hot liquor tank, which is basically an insulated vessel to hold sparge water at a specific temperature. That's the setup I use and it works great.

Anyways, hope your son loves his stuff!

Back