Have I messed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_am_fubar

Reaction score
Hi there all, new to the forum.

Last year (about 15 months ago) i picked and juiced 2 gallons of apple juice and one gallon of pear juice (also a gallon of grape, but ignore that for now).

I put into sterilised demijohns, added campden and after 24 hours yeast and sealed with water valves.

Then after a minor erruption during fermentation, moved them to a dark wardrobe in the spare room.

And forgot about them. They have never been siphoned, or bottled, or otherwise touched.

My question is, could they still be good? Or is there a risk that they could do me harm. Somene was telling me that the sediment would further rot, and it could make me go blind.

Natrally, if they taste awful, I'm not going to drink, but would like to know if tasting is a hazzard.

Cheers,
Fubar.

Nice to know :D

And I mean no disrespect or questioning of your knowledge. But just want to be doubly sure, so if anyone else has a though to it, I'd be keen to hear.

Cheers,
Fubar

you will be fine just have a taste. It has been discussed on here almost weekly. Nothing that can harm or kill you can live in beer or wine you make. The worst that will happen is it will taste bad

Your friend is probably thinking of how some of the first alcohol that comes from distilling can make you go blind.

If the airlocks still have liquid in them and the seal is tight, the beverage inside should be just fine and may taste excellent. If the airlock is out of liquid or the seal is really loose, the batch may taste horrible because of oxidation.

Try it and report back.

i_am_fubar said:
Hi there all, new to the forum.

Last year (about 15 months ago) i picked and juiced 2 gallons of apple juice and one gallon of pear juice (also a gallon of grape, but ignore that for now).

I put into sterilised demijohns, added campden and after 24 hours yeast and sealed with water valves.

Then after a minor erruption during fermentation, moved them to a dark wardrobe in the spare room.

And forgot about them. They have never been siphoned, or bottled, or otherwise touched.

My question is, could they still be good? Or is there a risk that they could do me harm. Somene was telling me that the sediment would further rot, and it could make me go blind.

Natrally, if they taste awful, I'm not going to drink, but would like to know if tasting is a hazzard.

Cheers,
Fubar.

So what happened?

LeBreton said:
Still learning to use a braille keyboard maybe??? :cross:

I kid of course, hope it was delicious!

I have had quite a few homebrews tonight, Which is rare for me.... I normally just have one or two. So it took me a second to get that but when I did I started laughing hysterically!
LeBadAss.... we need to have a couple together if you ever come to Monterey California... :mug:

Cider tends to get better as it ages.

Your friend was probably thinking (even though he probably only heard a rumor) about autolyse, which is the yeast dying and decomposing. In 12 years of brewing, the only time I ran into it was an uncleaned fermenter left on the back porch in the summer.

Back