Cold Break in the Middle of the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I've only got a 8 gallon pot so I can't get all the wort in the pot at once to boil it off. As a result I get a cold break after about an hour when I add the rest of the wort. Is this a bad thing? I'm not really sure what is involved in the cold break but I'm guessing the proteins coagulate or something. I would think they would break back down after it comes back to boil but it stays kinda chunky.

BTW, if you've got an 8 gal kettle, you should be able to get 6.5-7 gals to a boil. I did it with a 30 qt turkey fryer pot for a long time. You just have to watch it very closely at the start of the boil to make sure it doesn't boil over.

Lil' Sparky said:
BTW, if you've got an 8 gal kettle, you should be able to get 6.5-7 gals to a boil. I did it with a 30 qt turkey fryer pot for a long time. You just have to watch it very closely at the start of the boil to make sure it doesn't boil over.

Thats what I use but when I start with close to 9 gallons and it won't all fit. I really want to find a good 10 gallon SS brew pot. That would be be just big enough for the big brews but not too big.

Back