Breakaway connection for 120/240V electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I'm fixing to build a 110V heat stick to supplement my propane. The thing is, it seems dangerous to have a cord hanging off the top of my kettle, ready to tip boiling water all over my patio/feet/kid if someone just trips on it. I can't think of a good way to secure the cord that doesn't just make the risk different or worse.

I have an electric fryer that has a magnetic breakaway cord on it. It holds on strong enough to not be annoying, but it separates really easily even when you pull it at an angle. Does anyone know where I can get a connector like this for use on my heat stick? It seems like this kind of fitting should be considered mandatory for many brewing applications. People tend to focus on the dangers of electrocution when they do electric DIY stuff, but the gallons-of-boiling-wort-with-cords-running-around seems just as much of a threat to me, especially when the cord is running to the top of the kettle like with a heat stick.

Tie the supply cord around a concrete block that sits near the pot. If someone trips, they're screwed but at least the pot isn't dumped. Breakaway? Screw that, the boil isn't going to wait for someone that can't watch where they are walking.

Like Bobby not what your looking for but an alternative way of skinning the same cat.

Tread strip, the speed bump stuff that cords can fit underneath. We use it as work for Cat5/power cables going to desks in the middle of older conference rooms that were not plumbed for power can comms originally.

Clem

Of course I was mostly joking but I think you can make sure you route your cords so that they aren't easy to trip on and if they are, just make sure there's enough slack that it won't pull tight instantly.

Back