found a CO2 tank above my garage!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
So the brewing gods may have smiled on me today. I have been wanting to get a kegging setup for a while, but didn't think I could afford everything right now. Then today I finally got around to cleaning out the storage above my garage(after living here for 8 years!)and what do I find? A big CO2 tank. Enbossed into the side it says "Net Wt. 34#, 11 oz." and the sticker says "Carbon dioxide - nonflammable gas" and the number 2. Is there a specific type of CO2 for kegging, or is any tank fine? It looks like it may be a bit old, and the outside is pretty dirty and scratched up, but it isn't dented or anything and the valve seems fine. There was even a bit of gas still in there that rushed out when I turned the valve. Please tell me I can use this thing! About how much will everything else I need to start kegging cost me?( I'm talking just the bare essentials for 1 keg at a time, nothing fancy )

Nice! My understanding is CO2 is CO2. I was reading through some posts recently regarding red O2 bottles available in Lowes/HomeDepot versus medical grade O2 and which is best for oxygenating wort. I tried finding it but can't so I can't give credit but there was some pretty credible posts indicating the red "industrial grade" O2 was fine. So I'd assume CO2 is good too. My biggest concern would be whether it's actually CO2 and not some other gas. The sticker should be a good indicator that it's CO2.

You'll definitely have to have it hydro-tested when you want to refill it. I just had my 5# tank tested for $15, so be wary of places that charge much more than that.

Re kegs, I'd move pretty quick on them. The supplies for used kegs aren't as high as a couple years ago so the prices are starting to go up. The last time I checked, Adventures in Home Brewing seemed to have the best prices (http://www.homebrewing.org/).

Back