Burrs already...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevink

Reaction score
So its not even June yet and my 2nd year Magnums and Cascades have burrs all over them. Does anyone else have this "problem"? Last year I didn't see burrs until the beginning of July, but the rhizomes were planted pretty late on 5-9-2010. What are your 2nd year hops doing right now?

My 2nd year Cascades are about 3 feet tall. My third year Magnums are about 5 feet tall and starting to burr. OTOH, my 3rd year Hallertau has just barely sprouted. I actually thought it was dead.

Did you train the first emerging bines? The commercial guys all say to prune back the first emerging set of bines and train the later bines to get the best yield and a single harvest. I have also seen in my hop yard that training the first emerging bines will result in fast vertical growth but not a full leaf-out (compared to later trained bines) and the production will be much more sparse.

I just trimmed back all my crowns on Saturday and will start training strong bines in the next week or so.

Randar,

Each of my plants had about 30-45 bines that I let grow to about 1'-1.5' feet high (Cascades) and 1.5'-2' high (Magnums). At that point I cut all but 6 bines per plant.

Perhaps I will experiment by trimming back all the bines of one plant to see if it makes any more cones than the other plants. I heard that some commercial growers do that, but I never read anything very technical about it. Do you have a link to something I can read?

burrs are the damneded schitznitzez that i never get to see much around here , rrrrrrrrrr.......

My 2nd year Cascades are about 3 feet tall. My third year Magnums are about 5 feet tall and starting to burr. OTOH, my 3rd year Hallertau has just barely sprouted. I actually thought it was dead.

Aurora IL, SAME.

Cascade about 3ish, Magnum about 5ish, Hallertau barely out of the ground. Laterally we are almost the same so this post is making me feel great.

Kevink, I don't have a good literature or study reference on the trimming of bines. I can only go by what the other commercial growers that post intermittently here have mentioned or described. I have never seen a "Bine trimming for hop n00bz" post or illustration though, so I am only going by my interpretation of what I have read.

Hop burrs:

burrs_small.jpg

Back