So... what filter system works with an IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
I recently started using a keggle after installing a ball valve and dip tube (center pickup). I guess I didn't read up enough, because both of my batches so far have gotten horribly clogged. For the first one I used a SS bazooka tube, like those used in cooler MLT but looped back on itself to form a circle. For the second, I removed the bazooka tube and just hoped the cold break and hop sludge would flow through the pickup tube as I was planning to filter on the other side, as it flowed into the fermenter. Well, it stuck again. Immediately.

So, my question is, what kind of filtration system works with an immersion chiller and pellet hops? I've read the false bottoms and hopstoppers are out due to cold break matter and I'd rather avoid using a hopsock as I want full utilization.

Thanks in advance...

i bent my dip tube so it picks up more on the side instead of in the center. i've never had a single clog - lots of break material and hops make it into my fermenter, but it settles out during fermentation.

If you bend your tube and it still is getting clogged, i'd use a nylon bag for your hops. i've never heard of not getting full utilization.

Back