my thermometer broke help plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
my thermometer broke and i accidentally got my swamp coolers water too cold i would guess about 55 or maybe alil colder . i am trying to keep my already bottled beer at about 70 while the whole co2 part of the bottling takes place . my question is ... have i ruined my beer, and do i have any concerns for trying to slowly raise the temp back to 70 degrees F.

My understanding is that yeast don't die when exposed to cold, they just go dormant. You have yeast in the bottles, and something for them to eat in the bottles....... I betcha everything turns out to be fine after a coupel weeks at 70 degrees.

Temp during carbing is really only a concern to keep them from exploding. If there is a quantity of water in the swamp cooler (several gallons preferably) it will keep the beers cool enough to prevent anything crazy so long as it isn't 90+ degrees in the room with them and they're not in direct sunlight.

Back