O2 instead of CO2 - is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly question:

Did you bleed out the o2 in the keg before shaking it? I didn't for my first few kegs: I'd fill them with beer, put on the lid, attach my co2 and shake. I didn't have any problems but I still realized I should probably leave the relief valve open for a bit so the co2 can force out the air in there.

Sort of a longshot, but it could save you a trip to the store. Another way would be to get a carbonator cap (or make one) and carb up a 20oz Pepsi bottle of your next batch. If it goes bad, you're only out 20oz. Yeah you have to pay for the cap, but those things are pretty handy.

Just talked to the service manager at the fire extinguisher place. They don't do any O2, just Nitrogen and CO2. And it is physically impossible for them to interchange. He did say that if the tech did not bleed the container properly when he filled it, there may have been more vapor than usual. He said that they want liquid during the fill. He said to bring it in, they would purge and fill correctly...no charge:) I'm thinking that my beer was "vaporized".

now you guys have me concerned. I have a 20# co2 tank sitting next to my kegerator in my garage in Florida. I don't have room to put it in my kegerator (unless I lose space for 1 of my kegs).

It is routinely over 90F in the summer here. Sometimes 100F, even in the garage. Just how dangerous is this?

now you guys have me concerned. I have a 20# co2 tank sitting next to my kegerator in my garage in Florida.....it is routinely over 90F in the summer here. Sometimes 100F, even in the garage. Just how dangerous is this?

I keep mine in the shop in TX, 92+ entire summer. Never had a problem. Also, all of the welding supply places store them outside under a rood and they don't have any problems so I wouldn't think so. - Dwain

If I were you, I would just take the tank back to where you filled it. If they truly put O2 into you tank, that would be like filling your gas car with diesel--i.e. a *very* bad thing. Don't get a flame near it, don't do any experiments, just have the fillers look at it. If they know anything at all, they know about liability and won't screw around.

Frankly I just can't wrap my head around them mis-filling your tank. It's like using salt instead of sugar in a cake. I just doesn't compute.

Actually filling a gas car with diesel is not bad, but the other way around is not good at all.

release some into a small bag. Light a match, blow it out and then put it in the bag. If it re-ignites, it's O2.

You could always burn a small stick. Blow it out where there are just coals showing. Put it by the bottle outlet and crack open the gas. If it flames up, you've got
O2, if it put it out, it's CO2. Incidentally, if it flames up green, it's freon and will probably kill you. Maybe have someone you don't like do the test? - Dwain

LOL Yeah that will do it! It will probably kill you though.

If it is O2 it could cause a reallyt large flare so quickly you can't get away from it. I take care of a lot of people who stupidly lit up a cigarrette while on home O2. I've seen the results of a simple cigarette lighter flame that made contact with a person on home oxygen (which would be a lot less volume and pressure than quickly cracking the valve on a tank) and it is not good. I've seen it kill people.

Don't do this please...

If you really think you have O2 instead of CO2, take the tank back. But don't go cracking the tank around an open flame.

A licensed gas distributor in any jurisdiction would not be able (fittings) to fill a CO2 tank with O2.
If you want to know if the gas coming out of a hose is CO2 or O2 just flow a little on your tongue (CO2 has a sharp "soda pop" metallic flavor).
At high temp your CO2 tank will vent through the overpressure safety valve or "burst disc" - in the worst case scenario a person or animal in an enclosed space with a venting tank can die of CO2 narcosis (unless they hear the tank vent and open a door or window), however once the tank begins to vent it will also cool and so will only vent a limited amount of gas - the tank will not explode unless someone has messed up the safety valve on the tank.
Supercritical CO2 is the phase of CO2 that is inside the tank at low ambient temperature. It has no bearing on the CO2 that is in your corny keg since the pressure is not high enough to make it supercritical (at that stage its a gas).

The cause of your funky tasting beer has nothing to do with whats in your CO2 tank - its something else.

Cheers.

All the fittings are unique to specific gases or family of gases and Co2 is no exception.

Yeah you/they/anyone shouldn't be able to fill a CO2 tank with O2 because the fittings just won't go together, but looking at the threads for the CGA320 (CO2) and CGA540 (O2) it looks like it could be possible to thread a CO2 regulator on a O2 tank. This would only happen if you swapped the bottle and the guy only heard the O2 part of CO2 and didn't look at what you gave him and you didn't check the receipt. A few points at which to catch the mistak makes it unlikely.
2 questions though, do you guys use CGA fittings for the tanks? and arn't the tanks painted a different colour depending on the contents?

LOL Yeah that will do it! It will probably kill you though.

If it is O2 it could cause a reallyt large flare so quickly you can't get away from it. I take care of a lot of people who stupidly lit up a cigarrette while on home O2. I've seen the results of a simple cigarette lighter flame that made contact with a person on home oxygen (which would be a lot less volume and pressure than quickly cracking the valve on a tank) and it is not good. I've seen it kill people.

Don't do this please...

If you really think you have O2 instead of CO2, take the tank back. But don't go cracking the tank around an open flame.

Have you read any of my posts? Oxygen is NOT flammable. It will not "cause a reallyt large flare so quickly you can't get away from it" (copied and pasted). It will cause a flame to get larger, or a burning ember to reignite, but only as long as there is a fuel source. Once the fuel source is used up, the fire will die, even in a 100% oxygen atmosphere (which, as someone brought up, NASA found out the hard way).

I'm a retired firefighter, and I too have been to people's houses that are on home O2 and smoke. The O2 level in the home is higher than normal because they are releasing O2 all day, every day. They smoke, drop a burning ember on their clothes, and guess what, they burn up. Why then, if O2 isn't flammable, will they ignite so easily, you ask? Their clothes are saturated with O2, the heat from the burning ember ignites their clothes, and the higher level of O2 promotes the fire. As I've said, fire needs three things: a heat source, a fuel source, and oxygen. The cigarette is the heat source, the clothes (and the body inside them) are the fuel, and the oxygen level is higher because if the release of O2 from whatever tank they use. All three are the cause of your crispy critters that you take care of. It's not just the oxygen.

Yeah you/they/anyone shouldn't be able to fill a CO2 tank with O2 because the fittings just won't go together, but looking at the threads for the CGA320 (CO2) and CGA540 (O2) it looks like it could be possible to thread a CO2 regulator on a O2 tank. This would only happen if you swapped the bottle and the guy only heard the O2 part of CO2 and didn't look at what you gave him and you didn't check the receipt. A few points at which to catch the mistak makes it unlikely.
2 questions though, do you guys use CGA fittings for the tanks? and arn't the tanks painted a different color depending on the contents?

Here is the states there is no standard color code for compressed gases, even though compressed breathing air seems to always to be in yellow and medical 02 is genneraly in green.

The reason is that the industrial gas and welding predominantly filled with males & 8% of males have one type of color blindness. While females have only about 0.5% assurance of color blindness.

Cheers..:mug:

Anybody in here terrified of pure oxygen has never used a cutting torch. It's not that scary.
Hell, we burn up old office records in the shop with oxygen. Paper burns like **** in large amounts if it's stacked, but not if you blanket it with oxygen.

The flame won't carry through oxygen. It'll carry through the air as far as there is fuel (and if you have a combustible floating around, you have bigger problems). If you've got a little stick burning and it's suddenly oxidized, it will burn fast and hot until it burns up completely or you shut the oxygen off. Nothing terrifying.

Back