Brett C Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
So I have a Brett C starter going. It is my first all Brett starter, so I am not sure if this is going well or not, but I was expecting it to look like a regular starter, and this is what I got. It is a skin on the top, like an early pellicle. When I moved it from where it was to the counter to take a piture, the skin moved as one piece, not like a foamy krausen. Also, you can see bubbles under the skin...

Anyone?

gse_multipart3412786766385221607.tmp.jpg

Looks fine. My Brett C starters often look like that with the slight pellicle on top and turn out delicious! When you pitch it, expect a long lag phase before you see much activity. Keep it on the warm side (low to mid 70s F minimum) until it gets going can really help it get started quicker though. In my experience Brett C prefers 70F+.

For anyone interested, this starter has continued down a funky road. A few days ago I snapped this pic:
photo.jpg

as you can see the pellicle has continued to develop, but I was concerned with the darker areas on the pellicle, thinking it could be a mold setting in. I emailed White Labs with my concerns below, and under that is the reply:

I pitched this vial into a 1.5 L ~1030 unhopped starter wort made from DME.
I chilled to 65 and aerated with pure o2. There was a 2-3 day lag before
anything was noted, and since then, a defined pellicle type skin formed on
the top of the starter, with another layer of defined material about halfway
through the wort. Below is a link to a picture from a day or so ago, it
appears about the same with a bit thicker growth. I also noticed what could
have been a mold like material in about 2 places measuring about the size of
raisin. The smell is a little acidic, but not like a spoiled batch, at
least not yet. Does this appear to be correct for this strain? I have
never used it before, but I anticipated a ferment similar to that of a sacch
strain.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_cHE7h0phT-s/S6J0yQuSLuI/AAAAAAAADr8/ntOBQxEKrpo/s512/p
hoto.jpg

Thanks,

Ryan

White Labs Reply:
Ryan,

Per our lab manager:

That's exactly how its supposed to behave. It produces a lot of acid and
typically forms a pellicle (it's a good sign that there is growth). It
should be warmer than 65, more like 80. It doesn't behave at all like a
brewers yeast strain.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Pam

It looks like I am going to ride this one out.

One more quick note, this is what the bad boy looked like as of 7:00 this morning. Sort of like a thin layer of cottage cheese on the top now... Gross but cool.

gse_multipart2659430883700065272.tmp.jpg

wow i wish my brett C starter looked as purty as that. i've had one sitting in a growler for about 3 weeks with no real activity except the yeast layer at the bottom. no stirplate or warmer:( i think it's time to add some fresh wort and see if we can get a little more action out of it.

congrats on a nice healthy starter of funk:cross:

Wow, yeah. My pellicles only get as far as your first picture before I pitch my Brett C starters. Fun photos though!

Back