Hose type for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I built my immersion chiller a couple weeks ago and struggled at Home Depot to find a hose that could safely withstand the hot temperatures required. I'll also need to find the hose for a mash tun once I make that. For my immersion chiller I just needed 3 feet or so of hose to connect from the copper tubing to the hose barb and then another few feet for the exit water. Likewise I'll need tubing to carry wort out of the mash tun.

Appreciate the suggestions.

thanks

I used 2 RV water supply hoses - not rated for heat but haven't failed yet (on my IC). I just cut off the end I didn't need...

Saw these in use at the last LHBS Brew Day - washer supply hoses (rated for heat...)

This is the standard tubing for transporting high-temp liquids in an all-grain system:

Tubing - Silicone (1/2" ID) - By the Foot | MoreBeer

phpThumb.php

For lower temperatures you can get away with vinyl hose but as the above poster recommended Silicone is the best especially when higher temperatures come into play. At $2.10/foot it won't break the bank either.

I use silicone wher I was to see the wort, pump in for instance. But for the bulk of my hosing in my system I prefer the thermoplastic tubing that Northern Brewer sells. At $1.40 per ft, it is more economical and very rugged.
Search Results

This is the standard tubing for transporting high-temp liquids in an all-grain system:

Tubing - Silicone (1/2" ID) - By the Foot | MoreBeer

phpThumb.php

I use this hose too. No complaints at all. It is nice as it will not kink but you can pinch it off with your thumb and forefinger if you need to. I have a HERMS and a sparge arm hooked to quick disconnects and then to this type of hose. When I switch from HERMS to sparging I turn the pump off, pinch the hose, and switch the connection with practically no loss of wort. The vinyl hose is way more difficult to close off with just your fingers.

Ha. I just thought the same thing. I wonder if someone mis-priced it or if it is just really difficult to extrude in a continuous length.

I paid $46 for 25' delivered ! Very odd pricing indeed. I think they want to discourage bulk purchases so they have inventory for small parts buyers.

Back