Aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
I am curious about something on aeration!!! Do you really need a stone for this or can you just run a tube into the wort with a fish tank pump blowing air into the wort......it would still bubble and add O2 to the wort......

I'm sure it would be better than nothing. My understanding is that this would create very large bubbles that would escape easily and quickly from the wort.

Ahhh......okay!! So you want very small bubbles then......makes sense now!!

Smaller bubbles equate to a greater surface to volume ratio... more efficient aeration.

I use a ladle and let it splash from a height for a plastic bucket, or shake the fermenter for 5 minutes if i'm using a carboy and it works great. Fish tank pumps seem like an awful lot of hassle to me.

Using an O2 aerator is a bit of hassle in the sense that you need to sanitize the stone and hose (which isn't that big of a deal, but still an extra step). OTOH, it takes 60-90 seconds, is extremely effective, has less chance of infection than pouring between buckets, and entails no possibility of a chiropractor visit.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Using an O2 aerator is a bit of hassle in the sense that you need to sanitize the stone and hose (which isn't that big of a deal, but still an extra step). OTOH, it takes 60-90 seconds, is extremely effective, has less chance of infection than pouring between buckets, and entails no possibility of a chiropractor visit.

And you can sit around and puff pure O2 for kicks!:cross:

mysterio said:
I use a ladle and let it splash from a height for a plastic bucket, or shake the fermenter for 5 minutes if i'm using a carboy and it works great. Fish tank pumps seem like an awful lot of hassle to me.

I guess it all depends on your definition of a hassle: I run the pump while the wort is siphoning into the fermenter, and it really doesn't seem like much of a hassle to me: one piece of tubing plus the stone to sanitize and wash afterward--not really a big deal.

OTOH, I used to just shake, and that seemed to work alright, too.

Back