My first year haul!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I am pretty happy.

stash.jpg

That's 3 oz. of Centennial (from one plant)

9 oz. of Cascade (also one plant)

and 10 oz. of wild/feral hops 2 plants that a friend gave me a cutting of last spring.

I estimate I would have had at least 12 oz. of Cascade if the little boogers hadn't gotten 'em first (aphids and sooty mold) and probably the same of the wild/feral ones. Those I just stopped picking do to the fact that i was tired and thought... hmmmm, there is a chance these won't be very good anyway...

I am going on a hunch that they may be cluster as that was a common one at one time. Also they match the aroma category sort of so far. "Catty" I believe is the descriptor I read. Cousin-ey is more apropos I think...

Well see.

Anyway just excited and thought I would share. Time to get some brews going!

I would look into a vacuum sealer for long term storage. Nice haul by the way.

Those are vacuum sealed actually. :mug:

Pulled 'em out of the freezer to take the pic. The quart size bags are then placed in a gallon size freezer bag. Thinking about blasting the gallon with CO2 as well for extra protection.

It's a great feeling isn't it?

I was able to harvest 3.5 pounds total yield this year from 9 plants. It's a lot of work but, now I have more hops than I know what to do with. Keeping them nice and cozy at 28*F so, they should store well with very little losses.

If you ever find yourself near one, look into a Tuesday Morning retail store. I found myself a Food Saver in one of those for $50.00. I started out with the Handi Vac too and the FoodSaver does a much, much better job.

Dammit, man!

How big was your rhizome to start? I planted two rhizomes that both looked like dead 5 inch twigs when I got them.

The centennial shot up two strong vines which each grew about 11 feet each. Out of all this, I only got 20 cones. (No not ounces, CONES!). My cascade did not do anything for the longest time, finally I got one small vine (which I weed whacked once because I didn't see it) that grew about 4 feet. No cones.

i just vacuum sealed mine tonight.
out of 2 cascade and 2 hallertau plants i got 3.2 ounces cascade and 5.1 ounces hallertau.
they are first year plants so i am really hopeful for next year

WOW!

I'll be lucky (REAL lucky!) to get 1/4 oz dried from my first year Sterling. "EK" Goldings grew, but nary a cone produced.

Back