Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I am not a "Popcorn Movie" fan, and even less of a "Summer Blockbuster" movie fan, but I am excited to see this one tomorrow. I just remember as a kid watching the Indy flicks with my bother and my dad.

I am heading up to the biggest screen in the area to catch the 7:30 showing tomorrow with my little brother, then perhaps swinging by Capone's.

Anyone else excited for this?

I swear, once I watch this, it is back to documentaries and independent flicks.

yeah, I'm very excited....and there is an ad in this thread for the new flick...ironic?

The SciFi channel has a two hour show now, about the origin, history and alleged meaning of the Crystal Skulls. I liked the original and the sequels; quality family adventure films are a rare thing nowadays.

I didn't know Crystal Skulls were a religion now, too, though....:rolleyes:

The SciFi channel has a two hour show now, about the origin, history and alleged meaning of the Crystal Skulls. I liked the original and the sequels; quality family adventure films are a rare thing nowadays.

I didn't know Crystal Skulls were a religion now, too, though....:rolleyes:

I thought Crystal Skulls was a cryptic reference to adult diapers? :D (lame, I know... but come on, Harrison Ford is 66 years old!!)

I'll watch it online a day or 2 after it comes out when copies of it start appearing on a few sites that I frequent. :rockin:

Yeah, if for no other reason than the nostalgic feeling I had watching Kalima pull that guys beating heart out of the victim's chest when I was a wee lad :D

Yeah, if for no other reason than the nostalgic feeling I had watching Kalima pull that guys beating heart out of the victim's chest when I was a wee lad :D

When I think of that movie for some reason I always get "Um nun shee vi" in my head. That's what the dude kept saying after he got his heart pulled out and was being lowered into the fire/lava pit of death.

TBS or TNT os one of those stations (maybe spike) had a marathon showing of the first 3 Indiana Jones movies a while back so of course I had to watch all of those. I grew up watching them so it will be interesting to see how true to Indiana Jones the new one is.

Im pretty excited about it.. we plan on watching it this weekend. I just really hope Harrison ford's double doesnt look like a 25 year old guy. It would end up looking like that Beowulf movie with Christopher Lambert wich was terrible.

I dont want to go to see Indiana Jones and the Nursing Home of Doom!

Thanks. I'll wait for it to hit RedBox and spend a buck on it for the family.

I'm taking the family this weekend to see Iron Man at Alamo Drafthouse. Pitchers of Franziskanner & pizza and a 19 year old daughter who will drive us home. :D

Thanks. I'll wait for it to hit RedBox and spend a buck on it for the family.

I'm taking the family this weekend to see Iron Man at Alamo Drafthouse. Pitchers of Franziskanner & pizza and a 19 year old daughter who will drive us home. :D

Sweet! I hear Iron Man is pretty durn good. I will probably see Indiana Jones this weekend, but only in a new digital theater. The old fashioned kind stink.

Entire Raven Software company went to a private showing for our company meeting. Spoiler below.
Frankly, it was 'meh' with a side of 'meh'' and a little 'Lucas and Speilberg clearly think they are all that and a side of fava beans'. I think that, in the end, The Mummy and Mummy 2 did better 'Raider' than this thing did. And the freaking aliens? Sure-- I can see trying to stay away from the religious right's wrath and not doing another movie where biblical things are the focus but aliens? Really? That was the best they could cook up? Ultimately, this movie is about setting up the Raider series for post-Harrison Ford movies and they would have been better served just pulling a Bond and never aging Indiana Jones and leaving him as that classic adventurer always at about the same age. Rent it.

So that's what I think.

Spielberg is a HACK when it comes to "Special Effects". Seriously, everything he has ever done has had LAME special effects. As a director, he's fantastic. His best efforts involve no/very little effects, and great stories and avting as well as directing and producing.

Duel
Jaws
Schindler's List
Color Purple
Saving Private Ryan

But if you want to see some horrible movie making, check out
Indiana Jones 2
Gremlins
"Amazing Stories"
Jurassic Park
Etc

Yeah, they are "Blockbusters" but really pretty horrible movies that rely on effects rather than a good story/script, acting etc.

Just my 4¢.

This movie was not good at all....

The tarzan scene?

I almost walked out when they opened the box that said roswell....

And the ending? I don't see how steve looked himself in the face everyday and thought this was a good movie.

So I have a friends that loves the Indiana Jones movies. He wishes he was Indiana Jones. He dresses the part.

SWMBO and I got the opportunity to visit him and go see the 12:00 AM show. When it was over he threw down the fedora he was wearing and almost cried. Enough said.

My comments: just because you can use all the special effects doesn't mean you should. Parts looked like the Jumanji movie. Other parts looked liked the Indiana Jones video game.

I agree, this movie was way over the top. Simple should have been the key here. This was an all around miss.....I never thought I would see Jones dealing with Aliens.....sigh

I wasn't going to post spoilers, but since everyone else has...

I thought it was pretty good up until the end. Special Effects weren't really much different than the previous movies. Perhaps used more than the first one, and maybe they could do without, but not over-the-top where not needed. Felt like an Indiana Jones movie up until the end. now, the ending:

Ok, first three films had a "spiritual" element. A mysterious force that was basically derived from biblical stories/myths. They established that there. Now in film 4, they toss that all out in favor of "interdimensional beings". Poorly explained to boot.

They would have done better to go with a more conventional explanation about the skulls. Seems like they tried hard to not insult anyone with a "religious" theme, but that is where the other films went, and it served them well. They ended up insulting all filmgoers, IMO instead.

On the plus side, it was fun, looked pretty good, and I saw an awesum trailer for an animated movie called, Wall-E, that looks amazing!!

Overall I enjoyed it for what it was. It was very similar to the 3 previous movies, but some of the action sequences were like watching Wyle Coyote set a trap for the RoadRunner - cliff, tree, boat, waterfall... need I say more? Beep! Beep!

But if you want to see some horrible movie making, check out
Gremlins

Hey now, don't be ragging on Gremlins. That movie scared me poopless for years - granted, I was 5 the first time I saw it. And I don't think anyone EVER tried to claim it was great cinema, though. Just good, lame fun.

This movie was not true to it's own format. It was like a mix between national treasure and the x files movie.......and aside from the aliens.....its was simply a poor script.

The cheesiness where Indie and Mary suddenly fall in love again in a matter of minutes and start making "Honey and Dear" statements is flat out horrible.

Some posters in this thread have mentioned that the other movies had a more spiritual theme. So it seems strange to go into a crazy alien theme, where in the previous movie Indie finds the holy grail.

Im not one to judge movies based on realism and Im not holding this to that standard. I am however holding it to the standard of the previous movies. I would have rather gotten another movie about a religious artifact than a 1950's X-Files/National Treasure

On a last minute whim, I went to the 9:20 am showing. I was most amused to the fact that I was one of only four in the theater during the movie on the opening day!

Simply crap. Is that honestly the best that Spielberg and Lucas can come up with? Hopefully Batman can save the summer movies.

Back