Question about my brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
Well I know second bottling question tonight. I started my brewing hobby with a batch of apfelwein and then made a brown ale. I kind of had a plan for them to finish in a certain order and it does not seem like it will happen that way, but that is fine. I just wanna learn how and why, thanks for helping me.......

My brown ale recipe had a SG of 1.048 and FG of 1.016

on brew day I measured 1.046 (on 1.21.08)
It was left in primary for 11 days and was racked to secondary
I measured 1.012 (on 2.1.08)

I was going to let this age in secondary for two weeks and follow a modified 10days-2weeks-3weeks method.

What is happening during this 2 weeks in the second carboy. I know that I got to remove the beer from the krausen and crud on the bottom of my primary and this will help make my brew clearer.

My gravity has reached my target, what advantage do I have by leaving it in secondary for another week before bottling

The two weeks will allow the beer to clear up and the flavors to meld so that the beer can be smoother. However, if you feel that the beer tastes good and is ready for the bottle, go ahead. As long as the beer has reached terminal gravity it's ok to bottle. You have to trust your instinct, formulas don't always work.

What is happening is clearing and bulk conditioning. Very little yeast is needed for carbonation, so more time means less sediment in the bottles.

Back