Camembert Cheeses in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a couple of 4" wheels of Camembert yesterday. In a week or two these soft cheeses will develop the characteristic white mold on their skin. A few weeks after that, the inside will soften up, leaving the cheese with a nice chewy rind and a soft pungent soft cheesy interior. I really like Camembert, especially the rind.

Camembert curds are not cooked, cheddared, or pressed. The soft curds come right out of the whey and into the moulds.

Made with unhomogonized milk, MM100 and Penecillium candidum (camberti).

_mg_9250-64303.jpg

_mg_9252-64304.jpg

_mg_9253-64305.jpg

_mg_9257-64306.jpg

_mg_9258-64307.jpg

I've never made that. You just drain, and when it is no longer draining, it's ready to be aged?

Yep. It needs 55F for a week or two, until the mold starts showing up on the skin. Then into the fridge so the internal fermentation doesn't go crazy.

It doesn't really age too well. More than a couple of months and it starts to get very stinky, even a touch of ammonia. The flavor is still good, but the aroma will ward off vampires. If fermented too warm, the inside can go from soft cheese to runny cheese pretty quickly.

Yep. It needs 55F for a week or two, until the mold starts showing up on the skin. Then into the fridge so the internal fermentation doesn't go crazy.

It doesn't really age too well. More than a couple of months and it starts to get very stinky, even a touch of ammonia. The flavor is still good, but the aroma will ward off vampires. If fermented too warm, the inside can go from soft cheese to runny cheese pretty quickly.

I lost my source for whole raw milk, and didn't miss cheesemaking at all. Until now.

I would love to do this, and I have the temperature control I need.

The only other cheese I've missed lately is homemade feta from goat's milk.

I can get both raw cow and goats milk, but I don't. I've been using this milk and it's working great. It is pastuerized, but not homogonized (look for "cream on top"). Since I started using this, I haven't gone back to normal supermarket milk. This stuff is pretty expensive though, so I do intend on switching back to normal milk soon.

mlk_hg_grass_NATL_WH_ip.jpg

BTW, the only adjustment needed when using pasteurized milk is to add CaCl. You might already have that in powder form.

Oh, I have both the CaCl2 in suspension for cheese making, and the powder for my water for brewing- but all the milk around here is "ultra pasteurized" so it won't work (it won't form a curd)

When you're ready to give it a try, PM me and I'll shoot you the exact recipe and process I use.

I will do that! If I get down to visit my daughter in the next week, there are a couple of "hippie stores" where I could get some decent milk I think.

Oh, I have both the CaCl2 in suspension for cheese making, and the powder for my water for brewing- but all the milk around here is "ultra pasteurized" so it won't work (it won't form a curd)

right. That won't work.

I will do that! If I get down to visit my daughter in the next week, there are a couple of "hippie stores" where I could get some decent milk I think.

Yep, the granola munchers like this milk apparently. I get it at Whole Foods and Earth Origins (which also carries a whole line of hemp underwear, soybean roasts, and macrame beads).

right. That won't work.

Yep, the granola munchers like this milk apparently. I get it at Whole Foods and Earth Origins (which also carries a whole line of hemp underwear, soybean roasts, and macrame beads).

Hemp underwear?!?! Well. I'll be.

I would be willing to bet that the nearest Whole Foods is at least 200 miles away from me. Definitely no Earth Origins!

I'd be curious to try this recipe. I have access to the usual homogenized pasteurized milks and even some "raw" milk in the local deli (But it's insanely high priced IMO!)

I would have to rig up a temp control, but that shouldn't be a problem. I've got 3-4 STC-1000s that I've been wanting to flash with the upgraded firmware. And this is small enough to fit inside a small plastic cooler with a small light bulb heater device.

Or do you think I should buy some of this cheese at the store first and see if I like it?

Yep. They are getting et.

I let them go a little too long, and they are quite ripe (!). I'll be eating tomorrow, I'll get some pics.

I just finished drying a Jarlsberg (swiss cheese type). It just went into the fridge for aging. High hopes for that.

Next up, bleu.

My camembert is very tasty. Tastes exactly like the same I get from the store. Mine is a little creamier, probably should have eaten it a week or two ago (it's a soft cheese, not to be aged). The rind is perfect, edible and tangy. Best part in my opinion.

This cheese is ready in just a 3 or 4 weeks. I'm making more this wkend. No press is needed, just a form (you could probably cut a can or something to make it).

_mg_9447-64614.jpg

That looks awesome! My little bro bought me a kit to make Mozz for Xmas so I'm going to start with that, but I am very impressed with your Camembert!

Nice!

I bought a Brie to try. It's like eating dirt with a hint of cheese. I know what they mean when they describe it as "earthy". The flavor kind of grew on me though.

Well that is not a good brie then, I've never had one that tastes like that, and I've eaten a lot of cheese. It shouldn't taste toooo different to a 'ripe' camembert.

Well that is not a good brie then, I've never had one that tastes like that, and I've eaten a lot of cheese. It shouldn't taste toooo different to a 'ripe' camembert.

Well I bought the Brie to see what a camembert might taste like. Fancy cheeses like that are hard to find in this part of N. Mich.

It was bought at a Meijer store, which usually has pretty good selection. Not sure how fast they turn their stock though.

My son is allergic to penicillin drugs. Would Penicillium cheese fungus be a problem if I brought them in to the house? The internets are conflicting. Anyone have any personal experience?

My son is allergic to penicillin drugs. Would Penicillium cheese fungus be a problem if I brought them in to the house? The internets are conflicting. Anyone have any personal experience?

Hard to say, but I believe you can find penicillium everywhere. When you see blue/green mold on bread, it's probably a species of Penicillium.

I've grown it myself. It's prodigious, and will fill a plate in a few days. No wonder it's everywhere. So, I'd guess that cheese would be OK, but please consult your doctor or someone knowledgeable before you test the theory. At least have a plan to counter the reaction if it takes place. If you want me to send a sample, I've got lots!

_mg_9060-64189.jpg

_mg_9084-64190.jpg

Do you get camembert where you are? I love this cheese, especially the rind. It's so spreadable!

Not a great selection. Meijer has some of the more common uncommon cheeses. Probably not the best examples though.

We do get a nice selection of regional cheeses. Flavored Cheddars, etc.

I had a fancy cheese plate at a fancy restaurant in Big Rapids and decided to try some of the more unusual stuff out of curiosity. They probably get better examples via special order.

Do you get camembert where you are? I love this cheese, especially the rind. It's so spreadable!

Heck yep. Camembert (along with almost every cheese I can immediately think of) is in every supermarket. We also have a couple (not really good) markets on saturdays within a few miles and they often have nice cheeses. Good farm shops as well. I know where to gets da cheese :)

FYI I tried another brand of Brie at the Meijer and it tasted the same as the other: Like dirt/cave/worm, especially the rind. I can enjoy the center, but the rind overpoweringly tastes of underground, maybe with a subtle hint of ammonia.

FYI I tried another brand of Brie at the Meijer and it tasted the same as the other: Like dirt/cave/worm, especially the rind. I can enjoy the center, but the rind overpoweringly tastes of underground, maybe with a subtle hint of ammonia.

Mmmm, worm. That's how you know you nailed it. :) I guess you just don't like Camembert.

The ammonia does come after this cheese hits its prime. Camembert can't be aged, and probably don't survive shipping well. I'm guessing they are shipped while still fermenting and their sale is timed to get it to you when they are roughly ready.

If you cut the cheese and let it sit for a few minutes, the ammonia might clear out. I've noticed this on mine.

Heck yep. Camembert (along with almost every cheese I can immediately think of) is in every supermarket. We also have a couple (not really good) markets on saturdays within a few miles and they often have nice cheeses. Good farm shops as well. I know where to gets da cheese :)

In my home town in Sussex, a bunch of French market traders come over every couple of weeks and run stalls on the high street. There's usually at least one cheese stand.

American cheese eaters would probably freak out at the range of cheeses in almost any UK supermarket. At least one side of one aisle, plus a significant part of the deli counter are usually devoted to regional cheeses.

Here we have to make do with a small section of Whole Foods or a single cooler in Trader Joe's for quality cheeses (although the Central Markets I've been to around DFW were better - and they filled growlers). The average supermarket here doesn't have much more than a single cooler of proper cheese - about the same range (but different varieties) as a Tesco Local.

FYI it was a Brie I tasted. No camembert around here that I can find.

I just placed an order for annatto so I can color my Cheese. I am going to TRY to make colby tonight, because I have Meso and milk and Colby looks easy and doesn't need much aging. It will have to be white colby, but hopefully after that I can make cheeses look proper.

I'm tempted to make Camembert, but only because of the process. What I don't have is a proper humidity chamber, and I'm not going to build anything right now. I'll be content to watch this thread and see how it's done.

the odd thing is, without the rind, I quite like the Brie I've had! Especially with fruits and sweeter things to eat with it.

FYI it was a Brie I tasted. No camembert around here that I can find.

I just placed an order for annatto so I can color my Cheese. I am going to TRY to make colby tonight, because I have Meso and milk and Colby looks easy and doesn't need much aging. It will have to be white colby, but hopefully after that I can make cheeses look proper.

I'm tempted to make Camembert, but only because of the process. What I don't have is a proper humidity chamber, and I'm not going to build anything right now. I'll be content to watch this thread and see how it's done.

the odd thing is, without the rind, I quite like the Brie I've had! Especially with fruits and sweeter things to eat with it.

With annatto your cheese will look perfect. You'll be impressed. And others will believe you actually made cheese. BTW, when added to the milk it won't look too orange, but after pressing it will look right.

Camembert is really easy. If you put them in a tupperware container and close it, they'll stay very humid. That's what I did (well, sorta, I bought a special container with a false bottom - did I put a link above?).

[edit] http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6T9UJW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you propagate/culture the P. Candidum and G. Candidum culture from a live Camembert? It seems to be insanely expensive to buy - $17 and $20 at New England Cheesemaking.

Can you propagate/culture the P. Candidum and G. Candidum culture from a live Camembert? It seems to be insanely expensive to buy - $17 and $20 at New England Cheesemaking.

Absolutely. I have't done that, but the stuff has spread to other cheeses I have, so it's highly inclined to travel :) If you can make agar agar, use some lactose for the growth medium and I'm sure it will go to town.

Good idea, maybe I'll get busy this weekend and grow some. If I do I'll post pics. BTW, I didn't use any Geo in mine.

Back