Oatmeal Stout Recipe - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnutting

Reaction score
5 Gallon batch
=================
8.5 Lbs 2-row
12oz Flaked Oats
10oz Crystal Malt 40°L
6 oz Crystal Malt 60°L
5 oz Simpsons Chocolate Malt
4 oz Simpsons Black Malt
1.8 oz Kent Goldings 60min
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I got this recipe out of a B.Y.O. magazine and the listed SRM is 40 but when I enter it into BTP it tells me SRM=26. Could it just be that I entered in the wrong Black malt?

Does the above recipe sound good?

I would think so coming out of a B.Y.O. magazine

Oatmeal Stout is one of my favorites! I just finished off a keg yesterday. You're recipe is very close to the one I've made several times. You can check it out under my recipes. I think you'd be fine with either the black malt or roasted barley. They're the same color. I'm not sure what the difference really is.

What's the OG on this gonna be?

I was planning on brewing an imp. stout this weekend, but think I may trim it back a little to a heavier, oatmeal stout, possibly around 1.075 or so. Trying to concoct the recipe now.

Lil' Sparky said:
Probably in the 1.050 - 1.055 range. Adding a few lbs of base malt would get it up there.

I don't want to hijack, but if I added base malt, wouldn't I have to (moderately) up the % of specialty as well?

Well, I tell you... the black and roasted malts will get'er nice and dark... it would take alot of pale base malt to lighten it up much. My stout had very little roasted barley in it, and it was like tar... I woulnt worry much

Latest posts

Back