Where is sparge temp? RIGHT NOW!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I am about to batch sparge right now and I see in BS the amount, but where is the temp to get me to 168?

I asked a while back.

Here you go:
Bike N Brew said:
Try this:

Wa = (T2 - T1)(.2G + Wm)/(Tw - T2)
where:
Wa = The amount of infusion (sparge) water added (in quarts, at temp Tw)
Wm = The total amount of water in the mash (in quarts).
T1 = The initial temperature (¡F) of the mash.
T2 = The target temperature (¡F) of the mash.
Tw = The actual temperature (¡F) of the infusion water.
G = The amount of grain in the mash (in pounds).

Or, in the case of batch sparging where you know the amount and want to solve for the sparge water temp:

Tw = [(T2-T1)(.2G + Wm)/Wa] + T2

So for a 10-lb grain bill mashed at 150 with 1.25 qt/lb, where you're adding 2 gal sparge water:

Tw = [(170-150)(0.2*10 + 12.5)/8] + 150 = 187

thx beer.....is there really no where in BS that says? I would be surprised. I am figuring out the formula as we speak....

That is the formula for an infusion from How to Brew (and the Wiki), solving for Tw instead of assuming it is 212F and solving for the amount.

Yeahm usually any secondary infusion, or water for mashout, would be boiling... ithas to bein order to raise the temp of such a large volume.

I was talking about sparging, not temp adjust. Thanks for all the help. I added 4.78 gallons at 174 and hit it almost dead on. Thanks, all!!!

Sounds like you got it all figure out Kayos. Good stuff.

For future reference, if you want to use Beersmith to calculate your infusion temps, go to Tools and select the Adjust Mash icon.

Note that if you do a mash-out, you can do this as part of the mash profile. Otherwise, you have to use the tool and input the numbers yourself.

FlyGuy said:
Note that if you do a mash-out, you can do this as part of the mash profile. Otherwise, you have to use the tool and input the numbers yourself.

Yeah good point. I have started doing a mashout (simple equation for the addition). Then I sparge with 170F water...no need to worry about the temp since your grain and sparege water are at the same temp.

After you get all your grain temps and MLT temps inputed save the recipe by hitting "OK"
Then clik on the recipe you want (only one click), the lower right window will give you all the info you need to brew it.
78514129-mashprofile.JPG

Back