Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabl3

Reaction score
I put my pils in primary on Monday at 50*, jive checked everyday to see if there is any progress,there isn't, is this normal

Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206 or Bavarian Wheat 3638?

Did you do a starter, or just the single smack pack? A lager yeast can take 4-6 days to get going if you don't do a fairly big (1-2L)starter.

TopherM said:

Did you do a starter, or just the single smack pack? A lager yeast can take 4-6 days to get going if you don't do a fairly big (1-2L)starter.

I did a starter, I boiled 2 cups of water with 1/2 cup dme, when I got done boiling there wasn't much left when I poured the yeast on, in

TopherM said:

I did a starter, with 2206 , boiled 2 cups water, and 1/2 cup of dme, when It was done boiling, there wasn't much left

kabl3 said:
I did a starter, with 2206 , boiled 2 cups water, and 1/2 cup of dme, when It was done boiling, there wasn't much left

I'm wandering if the low temp, may be the cause,I did one b4 with an ipa it was burping on time!

How long did you boil your starter for? You're just trying to sanitize.... shouldn't be losing much.

Your starter just wasn't nearly big enough. Assuming about 10lbs of pilsner malt at 1.05 OG, you would have needed a 7 liter starter with about 3 1/2 bups of DME if you wanted it to take off like an ale fermentation.

You should have pitched the yeast in the starter at your fermentation temp, and let it sit about 24-48 hours before pitching it.

From there, your lager would have looked more like an ale fermentation.

With your small starter, you are just going to have to wait for the yeast to propogate to a much larger population, which is going to take several days. Just be patient with it. The yeast are working, just very slowly.

Yeah,that's the thing with lagers. The cold temps make the yeast start to work a lot slower than an ale yeast at 60 or 70F. So a larger amount of yeast is needed to get it going as fast,or nearly so,as an ale.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, ya, you are probably a little low on yeast. However, lagers can take a while to start showing "visible" signs of fermentation. You have pressure in the airlock, or check you gravity? You could use the tasty method and just slowly up the temperature every few days til its done.

Back